FMA sensor connection

I am using an FMA CDP4 co-pilot as part of my autopilot. Trying to figure out which would be the best way to connect it.The way I see it I have 2 options (or a 3rd option, connect the thermopiles directly to my MCU without the CPD4, but I would prefer to have the CDP4 do the maths to keep the plane level):RX>FMA>MCU>Servo's or RX>MCU>FMA>Servo's.The first option should give the MCU more "power" to control the servo's/attitude, and the second option the other way around.My MCU will steer the plane according the the GPS and MEMS altitude sensor. Near ground altitude is read by a Sparkfun EZ3 sonar.What do you guy's think would be the best way to connect them? (ps: My MCU is a PIC18 coded in assembly)Thanks,

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3D Robotics
    We do it both ways. ArduPilot Pro takes the thermopile data directly and that gives us maximum control. ArduPilot basic just controls the rudder and throttle and lets the CPD4 control the ailerons and elevator. Based on experience with similar setups, the downside of the second setup is the rudder has to fight the ailerons, which are always trying to keep the plane level, so you "skid" around turns with the plane staying relatively flat. The main effect of this is a very wide turn radius. It's pretty much impossible to do tight patterns with that configuration.

The upside of the second configuration is that it's a lot easier to program!

Is that what you had in mind? Or are you thinking of another way to connect the CPD4 with your MCU?
This reply was deleted.

Activity