I am currently looking for a location to fly my UAV. Once I have paparazzi installed, then I will not be able to use the local RC field, so I have to find an alternate site. Using satellite imagery, I have identified several possible sites, and I have owner information from deed searches.What worries me is how to establish initial contact. Unfortunately, I have to go with the sales equivalent of a "cold call". I have to establish contact either via phone or in person, and people are usually resistant to such forms of contact (me too). I will have a small flyer with a summary of intended activities, and pictures.1. What do you guys think is the best way to initiate contact?and2. What do you think are the best potential sites?So far I have identified farms, and a glider airstrip as possible candidates.Thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3D Robotics
    I agree. I'd use non-scary terms like "model airplane", "hobby", "made out of foam/plastic". Even better, do what I do and bring a kid with you and blame it all on him/her ;-)
  • T3
    I think your best course will be to simplify things for the layman. I would not recommend starting out by telling them about the autopilot at all. Say you want to test your rc plane or you may get the knee jerk reaction that you must be a crazy militant with nefarious intentions (yes I had it at a hobby shop to the point the guy asked me if I was a legal resident). If they show interest go into details and include them in the activities and just say you will be flying in accordance with AMA rules and offer to share any images with them.

I do not fly my plane at AMA rc fields most of the guys are interested however there is always some stick in the mud that kicks up a fuss. My rc clubs chairman was an ex FAA inspector so that put pay to any testing.
This reply was deleted.

Activity