Strobe Light for UAVs

Hello All!Trying to comply with FAA regulations for UAVs, I am trying to find a cheap, light-weight strobe light (anti-collision light) to use on my UAV that doesn't draw more than 12V. My airframe is an Alpha 60...so it can carry a good-sized load, however I've already added on about 3+ pounds of equipment and am looking for a strobe light and power supply that won't push the overall weight of the airframe over it's maximum.I've been looking all over the internet for about 2 weeks trying to find something that is practicable, but without success.If anyone has any ideas please share!Thanks,Kevin L.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Kevin

We have a 8 gram 4 LED strobe that can be seen for over 7 miles at night.  It incorporates the EF-10A-1 Electronic flare in a machined body for UAV/UAS/Drones, etc.

see northamericansurvivalsystems.com3701839267?profile=originalThanks

Jim O

• If you know someone at a fotolab, see if you can score a couple of those cheapy disposable cameras with built in flash.
    They run off 3V. Just trigger when the "Ready" light comes on.
    It's cheap and nasty but works.
    I've used them on hot air balloons I've made from wrapping tissue.
    You can see them for miles!
    Other than that just use a high intensity LED with a 555 in an astable configuration.
  • Modern LED bicycle light. Cheap, available at your local supermarket, modest power draw and usually has complete circuitry with flashing functionality.
  • Hi Kevin

Found this in an RC site.

http://www.ripmax.com/6index.asp?category=125-75&selectedtab=125
  • Hi Kevin

Many years ago I made a Xenon strobe set useing a camera flash circuit; I changed the single tube with 2 U shaped Xenon tubes and then taped the them onto the wing tips,this worked quite well. The camera stobes run off 2AA battery it might be worth a try.

Lance
  • Use a 1 or 3 watt led with a suitable diffuser. They (leds and regulators) can be found at places like dealextreme.com for less then $10 total. Maybe you'd better build your own regulator so the strobe can flash & at higher amps.
  • You might want to look at emergency strobes lights designed for scuba diving. They're compact, low voltage, and most models don't weigh that much...
  • Why not use an LED

http://wild-bohemian.com/electronics/flasher.html
    Simple LED flasher circuits
    LED flasher circuits
This reply was deleted.

Activity