AC3.3 TradHeli Release Discussion

WARNING to TradHeli users:

Do not attempt to fly AC3.3 until you hear otherwise from me.  I have not even bench tested it yet, let alone test flown it.  There are quite a lot of changes that have gone in that could be crash-o-matic for helicopters.

AC3.3 release for Tradheli is likely to be delayed.

This post will serve as the official release progress thread for TradHeli.

Warning: DO NOT FLY RC6!  It has a critical bug that will likely end in a crash.

Warning for RC5:

RATE_YAW_FILT_HZ param will change defaults from 5Hz to 20Hz to be more suitable for helicopters.  If you have never changed this parameter from 5 before, then it will automatically update the value to 20 without warning.  This much faster filter will probably require reduction in your P and D terms, and the yaw may oscillate badly.  Be prepared to retune these.  As a safety measure, probably cut them in half for your first take-off.

Warning #2 for RC5:

I accidentally broke the Landing Detector.  It will probably never trigger.  You should land in Stabilize mode, or be prepared to shut down the motor as soon as it touches the ground in Alt_Hold, Loiter, Auto, etc.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What exactly is the H_RSC_CRITICAL parameter? There is no documentation or description and it seems important. We are running our throttle at 55% and it seemed like we never gained control. Maybe this value was not being reached?

• Hi Jason,

It's only no description because MP parses the parameter descriptions from stable releases, not RC's.  When it goes stable, the description will show up.

H_RSC_CRITICAL is an attempt to make the copter understand what minimum rotor speed it needs to fly.  So what you were experiencing was probably because your RSC_SETPOINT was below RSC_CRITICAL.  Or if using the CH8 passthrough mode, maybe your setting was below H_RSC_CRITICAL.

Regardless, the swash not moving was a bug, which is fixed on the next RC.

• @ Jason, personally have not tested yet but hopefully soon :)

I see that in the release notes you have removed the acceleration feedforward for rc-9. Is there a particular reason for this? would have been interesting to see the results of this addon

• Jolyon, 

The acceleration feedfoward is something that I was working that ended up in 3.3 by accident so it pulled out.  It's not a removal of an existing feature.  It refers to angular rate acceleration feedforward.  The existing Rate_Roll_FF is rate feedforward.  So AFF is a little more like D-term compared to normal P-term.

I found that it does help, but it's just another parameter that needs to be tuned by the user.  And it's really tricky to get right.  There's gotta be a better way.

• Anyone test RC9 yet? How's it working?

• Flew rc9 too, working well.
    • Yesterday and the day before I tested 3.3rc9 firmware, follows the parameter settings before and found everything normal, including follow-me mode, of course, there is no time to test a key take-off and landing automatically!Log in attachment

2015-08-28 17-54-19.rar

• FYI, I have test flown RC8 and it's going well.  In fact, I did the T3 Figure 8 competition with my Goblin 380, and have it flying 35 m/s in auto mode.  It crushed the quadcopters. :D

• Hi Rob,

With the work that you are doing on this release are you able to increase the maximum value for the WPNAV_SPEED parameter?  Traditional helis can fly much faster than the 72 km/h figure that was set for multicopters.  

Thanks,

Richard 

• Hi Richard, yes, you can certainly set it higher, just use the Full Parameters list and that allows you to go over 20 m/s.  I have run it at 35 m/s.  I do find that the controller seems to struggle after that point however, and it's certainly not efficient.  It's on the ragged edge of control for my Goblin 380.

This reply was deleted.

Activity