Adding extra functions to MinimOSD

I have started to add functions to MinimOsd code.

At first i did it for myself only. Added many functions i thought i need. Then opened this thread.

after a while, Pedro and later Miguel came, and things started to happen fast. :D

They have optimised the code and added even more things to it.

They have worked hard on CT, and it became a great tool!

Thank you Bough! :)

By now MinimOSD-Extra got a pretty advanced OSD.

Here it is in action:

Added:

- Changeable unit measurement (US, metric)

- Airspeed

- Home alt

- Battery Percent

- Battery used mah

- Current Draw

- Time From Startup (cleared at takeoff to show exact flight time)

- OSD Menu

- Variometer

- Wind horizontal speed and direction, and also the average wind speed of the last few minutes. 

- OSD on/off

- Switchable secound screen

- WP distance

- WP heading

- Crosstrack error

- Warning messages for Lost GPS fix, Stall, Overspeed, battery volt, battery Percent, RSSI

- Efficiency, glide distance & thermic notifier. 3 in one panel

- OSD Brightness

- HAM Call Sign

- After flight summary

- Trip distance

- Temperature

- Smoothened horizon

- Real heading

- RSSI

- Vertical speed

This functions can be turned on and off, and placed on different screens now, by the Config. tool.

Also RSSI, switching mode and channel and unit measurement, Stall speed warning, Overspeed warning, Battery warning volt, Battery percent warning, RSSI warning,  can be set in new Config Tool.

We built in a new way of setting video standards. Now OSD does not guessing anymore :). You can set it fixed from CT. It is in "Video Mode" menu.

Here is how it looks: (This video is a bit outdated, sorry. I will make a new one soon.)

The MinimOSD-Extra project is here: Link

This project is the developing version of the official Arducam OSD located here: Link

The latest stable version is: 2.2

The latest version can be downloaded from here: MinimOSD-Extra R800

Username: MinimOSD_Extra

Password: Top_Secret

CT is included. (The FW for Plane, Copter, Character upload and the character file is in the "FW & Char" directory inside CT directory)

We are sharing it to see videos you make using it! :)

Enjoy

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My 12v/Gnd and Video In/Out connectors unplugged and instead of checking I just guessed and ended up powering 12v on the video in and gnd on video out. It lost vsync, showed fuzz, wouldn't show telem, and eventually went blank after I corrected the wiring.

Let it sit for a couple days and it works great now. I am using the jDrones version though.

• I just watched the EZosd flite test episode. For mutirotor they have a nice little feature that uses your current draw to estimate remainig flight time. How plausible would it be to cram this feature onto the minimOSD?

• Hi Benjamin,

We already have something like that in minimOSD :)

It's in the efficiency panel. In copter fw it takes the reported remaining battery % from APM and the elapsed flight time to estimate the remaining flight time.

Just grant that APM battery capacity setting is set correctly

Could you give it a try? And post a video ;)

PS: For now just use it as alternative info as it isn't much tested yet (although I recall a video reply here showing that this panel was reliable).

Miguel

• The latest beta of Plane allows for voltage monitoring of a second battery. Users have been asking for this for a long time! It shouldn't cost much space to get this added to the minim, right?

Tridge - "added support for monitoring voltage on a 2nd battery (BATTERY2
    mavlink message)"
    • Hi Iskess,

Ok I think I managed to get that 2nd battery voltage reading from mavlink (I have to test it first and include it on CT Tool though).

Could you tell me how to enable it in APM?

I'm not following plane development ( shame on me :P ) so I'm not sure how to setup that 2nd battery reading.

Is it another voltage + current sensor plugged into a input? If so in which input?

Could you give me a link?

Thanks,

Miguel

• Hi Miguel,

Have you had a chance to complete the work on the 2nd battery voltage?

I've a newly installed Talon with my first APM 2.7 system.  I've used other systems in the past, but was drawn to all the features Ardupilot & minimOSD-extra offer.  I was shocked to see no provisions for monitoring a second voltage normally used for FPV.  I'm elated to understand this is in the works.

Is it much farther off?

Many thanks for what you do.

• I just emailed Tridge to ask. I'm guessing to get voltage only, a simple voltage multiplier would suffice.
        • Here is a reply from tridge about the 2nd battery voltage monitoring:

The 2nd voltage is configured using BATT_VOLT2_PIN and BATT_VOL2_MULT, then you use it by monitoring the BATTERY2 MAVLink message. The message has the voltage in millivolts.

If BATT_VOLT2_PIN is -1 (the default) then the BATTERY2 message is not sent.

Cheers, Tridge

The question that remains is how best to physically attach the 2nd battery, usually 12v, to the flight controller without toasting it. You could invest in an additional current sensor which has the battery voltage divider build into it, but since the current sensor part won't be used it is bulky and too expensive. The best solution is a simple voltage divider made up of a couple of resistors. Then we adjust the multiplier BATT_VOL2_MULT until the voltage is accurate.

3702763191?profile=originalI'll let someone else suggest with resistors to use.

• This from Rob:
            "There are online calculators to help Just a few tips to building one: One of the resistors needs to be at least 10,000 ohm, to prevent the circuit passing excessive current. You choose the other resistor based on that. Also, use the highest accuracy resistors you can find. This isn't super important as we can adjust the voltage divider ratio, but it's just nice, and resistors are cheap."
          • 100KM

Nice work Iskess. I'm quite keen on this as well.

This reply was deleted.

Activity