Adding extra functions to MinimOSD

I have started to add functions to MinimOsd code.

At first i did it for myself only. Added many functions i thought i need. Then opened this thread.

after a while, Pedro and later Miguel came, and things started to happen fast. :D

They have optimised the code and added even more things to it.

They have worked hard on CT, and it became a great tool!

Thank you Bough! :)

By now MinimOSD-Extra got a pretty advanced OSD.

Here it is in action:

Added:

- Changeable unit measurement (US, metric)

- Airspeed

- Home alt

- Battery Percent

- Battery used mah

- Current Draw

- Time From Startup (cleared at takeoff to show exact flight time)

- OSD Menu

- Variometer

- Wind horizontal speed and direction, and also the average wind speed of the last few minutes. 

- OSD on/off

- Switchable secound screen

- WP distance

- WP heading

- Crosstrack error

- Warning messages for Lost GPS fix, Stall, Overspeed, battery volt, battery Percent, RSSI

- Efficiency, glide distance & thermic notifier. 3 in one panel

- OSD Brightness

- HAM Call Sign

- After flight summary

- Trip distance

- Temperature

- Smoothened horizon

- Real heading

- RSSI

- Vertical speed

This functions can be turned on and off, and placed on different screens now, by the Config. tool.

Also RSSI, switching mode and channel and unit measurement, Stall speed warning, Overspeed warning, Battery warning volt, Battery percent warning, RSSI warning,  can be set in new Config Tool.

We built in a new way of setting video standards. Now OSD does not guessing anymore :). You can set it fixed from CT. It is in "Video Mode" menu.

Here is how it looks: (This video is a bit outdated, sorry. I will make a new one soon.)

The MinimOSD-Extra project is here: Link

This project is the developing version of the official Arducam OSD located here: Link

The latest stable version is: 2.2

The latest version can be downloaded from here: MinimOSD-Extra R800

Username: MinimOSD_Extra

Password: Top_Secret

CT is included. (The FW for Plane, Copter, Character upload and the character file is in the "FW & Char" directory inside CT directory)

We are sharing it to see videos you make using it! :)

Enjoy

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• @Hally,

I did the same thing you did but gave up in frustration and ripped out all the MinimOSD modules from 3 of my drones. Until this hardware/firmware is fixed, I won't spend another dime on it. I feel there isn't enough backing by DEVs to really get this device to be reliable. Heck the code section of wiki is out of date. Good luck getting anywhere with it.

• Just for the record, I have 4 different minimOSD clones and they all work perfectly with r800.
      The FW was created by generous volunteers and highly appreciated by the community.
      • I have several boards from different sources all running great on r800. I have RCTimer, HobbyKing, and Witespy all working well. I just bought witespy's micro board and hooked it up today. It cost $13. You can now buy the classic board for $10. This one I would recommend this one.

Gabor, maybe we should go ahead and make r800 a "Stable" release rather than "beta". It will give people more confidence on what they can fall back to if they are having trouble.
    • Hi Doug,

Check the first post. The one you have linked is not MinimOSD-Extra.

It was yers ago.

Also for wiki: Link

It is sad it did not work for you.

Gábor

• Hi Gabor,

I referenced the old link as an example of why I and I'm sure others are frustrated with MinimOSD.  Someone needs to either take down that link or update it to redirect them to the correct site location.

I tested version 2.2 and although it was stable, it was out of date with flight mode changes in Arducopter for me.  So I was excited to try the MinimOSD-Extra but ran into a snag.  After flashing character set and Firmware many different ways, I noted the outcome never changed for the better.  The issue is that some of the functions were not updating or showing data received from my Pixhawk.  At this time, I cannot list which one they are as I pulled them a couple months ago and refuse to try anymore until something is fixed or a better product is found.  Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of having heads up data while flying FPV, but what's the point if the data is wrong or not updating?

• There is no issue with it.

It is that you are having some kind of issue with your hardware. (Computer, Cable, OSD, noisy uBEC, bad connection, wrong wiring, etc...)
          Might be your FTDI. I don't know. I would really have to see and try to be able to tell.

R800 really is a well tested stable version now.

You are having problems that have nothing to do with the FW.

For the hardware you use, we are not responsible for.

How could we? (Even if there was a specific brand, but all the different clones, cables, etc...)

Not even for the FW. I mean we are. This is something we worked on and handed over. But still, "responsible" is not a good word to use here, when you do something for others as a favour and for fun. Sure we want it to work well! ;)
          We even help if someone asks for it. Sometimes people are even calling me on phone.

We did all this for fun and for our FPV friends here. Not for money.

We are like you. We are not getting paid for this.
          We just simply made a better FW than shared it with others.
          It is the same as; You have a good idea, you make a totally new code than sharing it with this community.

I also have my job, my family.
          When i have time, i am here. Reading posts and helping people as much as i can.

This is what i really do here. Really sorry if it is not enough.

Also sorry that you gave it up. I think you should not have. Opensource hardwares are just like this sometimes. (Tere are many systems in the market "ready to fly")

I respect your decision. As you have already decided, i can't help.

I wish you good landings,

Gábor

• I'm willing to give the MinimOSD another try.  Any recommendations on Hardware? Ie 3DR version, Hobby King's, something better?

I could also send you all my modules as I'm not sure if they work anymore or that I'm have a heck of time with them.  Either way, I would like to get my FPV outfitted but just don't feel like throwing more and more money at what I feel is a moody hardware product.

• T3

The classic $10 witespy board is what I have and both worked just fine.

• I wrote a new firmware (almost) from scratch and its what I currently use for flying (but right now you'll need some knowledge about programming avr's since its not arduino based).

Talk here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2324312

Code here: https://github.com/minimosd-ng/minimosd-ng

But... due to the poor hardware capabilities of the minimOSD, I've "paused" the firmware development and I'm currently developing a new OSD board to be used with APM that should support nice graphic widgets.

Regards!

• Hi Luis,

Nice!

I will have a look!

Glad you started with our code! 

Gábor

This reply was deleted.

Activity