Hi everybody,

I recently purchased a ready to fly 2014 Y6 from 3D Robotics with a Tarot gimbal and GoPro camera. My problem is that I really need gps points on all of my photos so I can stitch them together and analyze them. Another thing I'd like is to be able to use an infrared camera that has a gps.

So my question is, does anybody know of a gps attachment for a GoPro camera? Or recommend a different camera and gimbal for these purposes. I would like something I could just hook up and start taking pictures with out too much configuring in Mission Planner for a new gimbal.

If that is not an option, does anybody have any advice on geo-tagging images? I've tried to use Mission Planner for geo-tagging and I've followed the instructions on how to do it with Mission Planner. For some reason after I go through the process, there is no latitude or longitude information on them, or it says "invalid log" and the process gets stopped.

My purpose is to analyze agricultural fields for crop scouting and decision making.

I appreciate any advice,

Thanks!

Morgan

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Added notes, anything you can find off the shelf at a retail store is "not" good for image analysis. The Canon, Sony, Nikon, GoPro, etc cameras are consumer grade, with low level consumer grade imaging sensors(a lot of bad pixels).

To get the best possible images a custom camera designed specifically for the application is the answer, the cost is prohibitive.

The next best thing, get a COTS Industrial grade camera designed for machine vision. Easy programming and it will do what you want it to do.

• This has an easy solution, but the cost would not be attractive.

I work with Scientific grade cameras that would work well, including GPS. The cost, well that is another story.

The GoPro cameras would work in the NIR up to about 900nm, then QE drops off a cliff.

You would have to remove the Visible cut filter in the camera, replace it with a broadband filter covering up to about 850nm. The QE is still decent, not great at 850nm for this type Silicon imaging sensor.

Now keep in mind this is a consumer product, the camera lens will not have good light transmission above 680nm, which is a usual cut off point.

If you are doing image analysis of crops, such as rot, hydration/dehydration, plant identification, insect infestation

• Does the SX 230 have infrared capabilities? I'm having trouble finding anything about infrared in the specs of that camera, maybe I'm missing something?
  • Read Jaime's post below, you'll find a lot of useful info. I think a canon CHDK camera it's more appropriate for your needs.

• I have the exact same question, any luck on finding a solution?
This reply was deleted.

Activity