Almost a fly-away video. A few questons.

I had my taranis to set the flight mode channel to RTL as it's failsafe. I did not set the APM failsafe, I should have tested this, but it does not work and I'm not sure I understand why.

Testing on the bench, If I center all sticks and flip my RTL switch, CH5 goes to 1903 and it the flight mode changes to RTL. However if i turn the radio off I get the exact same change, but the flight mode does not change!! Why not? During the flight, the flight log even shows that the mode changes to RTL (the first 2 times, the 2 other were manual i think), but it definitely didn't behave that way. 

I've since turned on the APM throttle channel failsafe and it tests fine. 

About 30 seconds in I got a RSSI critical warning and it started to fall. It recovered but i definitely didn't have good control for about 15 seconds before it started to fly away.

My other question is what made it fly away? from about 0:55 to 1:30 it shows it was in stabilize but I had no control and I was watching it was fly away. I eventually powered cycled the Taranis and flip the RTL switch. This worked but I wasn't sure at the time, as it was just slowly desending. I got impatient, switch backed to STAB, and was suprised i had control again! I brought it back as fast as i could. I was panicking and landed it hard enough to break a landing leg and prop ( i was just glad it was dry)

I think my antenna position was bad, so i'm going to getting one of those printed V stands. I had it in a V but on the leg, maybe too close to the battery. 

Other than testing the fail safe and a walking range radio test, is there anything I could do before my next flight? I still don't feel like i really understand everything that happened. 

Thanks, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kgMMOYS3js

2016-03-26 09-55-31.log

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You still need to manually set the failsafe threshold in the Rx, by pushing the failsafe button on the receiver itself. As well as set the TX to no pulse.

That's how I setup my failsafe on my quadcopter and so far, there has been no danger.

• In the Taranis plus setting the Fail safe does not need any button pressing when using the X8R receiver, its all done in the Tx or using Open Tx.

When flying a Multirotyor using RX or TX failsafe is dangerous and could lead to model fly-away etc, The flight controller needs to know when the Rx to Tx link is lost  so it can initiate its own failsafe.

• I have a Frsky receiver and I have followed the instructions on this wiki. So if you think, my method is wrong, than this WiKi is also wrong.

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/radio-failsafe.html

Radio Failsafe — Copter documentation
                • Hi Francisco

The link you mention refers to a Futaba or Spektrum radio transmitter. Its not a Wiki just a suggestion related to these two transmitters. Which transmitter are you using, Its a shame you did not see I was relating to the Taranis Plus running Opentx. This uses the full functionality of both the Taranis Plus and the Frsky RX.

In the end setups are the choice of the flyer, have a great next fly.

• In that link I mentioned, there's a video that shows how to setup the failsafe for the Frsky Receiver..

Also, I have done a field test, by turning off my transmitter and it did not incur in a flyaway. The drone did what it was supposed to do, return home.

This reply was deleted.

Activity