Replies

• Kev,

The difference could be the APM version. I am also using EU version 2.1.6 OpenTx and have the GPS sensor setup on the Taranis Plus the same way as you. I used to use the OpenTx 2.0.x version of this telemetry code (on OpenTx 2.0.17) and that worked perfectly (I did tend to rely on the radar display quite a bit when I got disoriented with the crafts orientation), but the 2.1 version on 3.3. seems to have this one issue for me.

(for info - there are actually other issues with the LUA code generally (all versions) which I have been discussing and doing some testing with Clooney82's -next version of the code, these centre around Taranis memory structure limitations which Clooney is looking into separately, but they only effect the storage of values entered into the offset screen The ranges of values allowed are restricted at present due to these taranis limitations - I hope to see some interesting modifications before long to remove these limitations).

If you do decide to make the move to APM 3.3, bear in mind that there are new sound files from OpenTx required to be put on your SD card, plus 3.3. specific sound files supplied with the Clooney82 telemetry code too. The latest version has these telemetry specific sound files in a separate /SOUNDS/EN/TELEM sub directory to keep them distinct.

Cheers again Kev, Paul 

• Hi,

I am new to this project and would like to know if there is any tutorial showing how to compile and upload the files to the Teensy. Thanks in advance.

Zeek

• Zeek,

I have been following this topic for the last 9 months or so and have been using this telemetry method from the earlier Wolkstein revision on OpenTx 2.0 and APM 3.2. I now have it working (in the most part) with OpenTx 2.1.6 and APM 3.3.2. The trickiest part to getting it on the Teensy 3.1/3.2  is getting the Arduino SDK tools installed (with all the required libraries to support this project, on your PC/Mac. Details on how to do this can be found in the Wiki here: https://github.com/Clooney82/MavLink_FrSkySPort/wiki

The software setup guide from the Wiki is specifically here: https://github.com/Clooney82/MavLink_FrSkySPort/wiki/1.-Setup 

Be sure to read it completely as missing a bit will likely cause you issues. It needs quite a few components installed to get it all functional. If you get stuck, then post here and I'll do my best to help.

Best of luck, Paul

Clooney82/MavLink_FrSkySPort
      This MavLink_FrSkySPort repository is discontinued! The development is moved to athertop/MavLink_FrSkySPort. Please do not use this repo, and follow…
      • Hey Paul, thank you for your quick response and info.

I did followed the Wiki a couple of weeks ago "Installing Software and Tools" and sure did ran into some installation issues, to mentioned one of them on both of my Windows 10 machines when installing Teensyduino I still get an ERROR !!, Unable to write changes to "lib/pde.jar", did a lot of researching, troubleshooting and still no go... yes, I have no antivirus or any anti software installed. The thing is, I figured I would find a solution to this installation issue which I haven't yet. 

The reason of my previous post was because after going through the install steps of the wiki got to Step 7. "Compile and Upload Program to your Teensy" and didn't really not what to do at this point (Compile).

I've already have another Teensy up and running with my Pixhawk "Awesome MAVLink to FrSky Telemetry for OpenTx 2.1 from RCGRoups" but on this project I didn't have to compile but to upload a small .hex with the teensy.exe software an that’s was it.

Please, let me know if there are instruction related to step 7 of the wiki. I would love to give this project a shot since it looks pretty cool.

Thank you again in advance.

• Zeek,

Although I haven't installed these tools in windows (only Mac), I do work with Windows and its possible the permissions issue is down to UAC (user account control). Try the install by right-clicking the setup file and choosing 'Run as Administrator'.

If you want me to send you the .hex then you can install it the way you did previously. In fact, I'll attach it here for you. This is from the current 2.1 version as of today. I have attached an exe of the flash tool also.

Cheers, Paul 

p.s. regarding step 7 - you basically connect your teensy using USB, configure the Arduino app for the teensy (under tools, Programmer, choose 'Arduino as ISP'; under Board, choose 'Teensy 3.1'), then click the upload button, the code will be compiled and a separate java app which looks the same as the exe I attached here will popup and program the Teensy with the temporary hex file which was compiled (the hex file I attached here). Its as simple as that! 

MavLink_FrSkySPort.cpp.hex

teensy.exe

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702804186?profile=original
          • Paul, just following your explanation on Step 7. All good, but I do need to open the source from the wiki on Arduino before compiling? 

I think I am getting there (Compile). I've downloaded the zip file from the wiki, extracted, then from Arduino, File - Open and browse to "Mavlink.ino" under folder MavLink_FrSkyPort, open, and then Upload..... Hopefully I am on the right track!

• Ah, yes Zeek, you need to open up the source code in Arduino. To do this properly, for any Arduino project, you would open up the .ino file which is named the same as its containing folder. So in the case of this project, open up MavLink_FrSkySPort.ino from within the MavLink_FrSkySPort folder, and this will start Arduino with all the files referenced in the project in tabs within the app. then edit what you need (if you do need to at all) and click the compile button to compile and download top your Teensy board. Simples!

• So sorry, deleted my post by mistake. Got your reply! ?Thanks!

• Thank you for the attached files!.

Yeah, I've already tried disabling UAC, ran installers as administrator, killed programs running on the background and more. Still no go. I will try a Windows 7 OS tonight. I have one available on my VM Host server.

Thanks again for your help!

• Zeek, If you use the attached files above then you don't need to install any of the Arduino SDK.

If you do want to install all of the Arduino/Teensyduino/libraries etc, then by right-clicking the installers, choosing 'run as administrator', you are basically doing the same as turning off UAC for the exe you are running and anything it calls. If this doesn't work then maybe you have a permissions issue on the path you mentioned - I have seen some paths where even the administrators group lacks permissions. If this is the case then you can try to take ownership of the path/files and change the permissions. If it is a compatibility issue, then you could always create a shortcut to the installer app, and through the shortcut properties, set compatibility settings to get it to emulate Windows 7 and see how you get on. Just an Idea! Good luck

This reply was deleted.

Activity