Angle of Attack Sensor

I have been beating my head against the wall on this one for awhile. I have two thoughts:A rotary position sensor and a vane. Has anyone built one? Or is there a commercial one out there?More recently I have been looking at a laser doppler anemometer measuring wind velocity a few centimeters ahead of the wing in undisturbed air. I have been playing with a design using fiber optics and a diode laser. Is anyone familiar with this technology and what has been done or what is available?Any other thoughts for an AoA?Thanks, Roger

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Calibrating the AoA would be simple if you were to do it while flying. Measure the lowest angle of attack and then measuring the highest angle of attack before a stall.
  • Any progress on this topic, sounds like an interestin project. AoA is way better than airspeed...
  • I have done extensive research on AoA sensors. None available that I could find to the hobbyist :( The problem with the pressure sensors is that it needs calibration, basically a wind tunnel procedure..... The vane idea with optical sensor seems to be the better option, low weight and easy to build/integrate and measure. Calibration should be easy as well.
  • T3
    How about a differential pressure sensor just like the ones for measuring airspeed, but used to measure the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the wing or body. Seems like as one surface angles into the on coming airstream it's pressure should increase with respect to the other surface.

Brian
This reply was deleted.

Activity