I've been using a Canon SX230 HS on multicopters for mapping and vertical imaging. I think it does a great job and takes fantastic pictures....but it's heavy! At 220 grams it seriously shortens flight time over other, lighter, non-GPS cameras. I'd like longer flight times, but rather than messing around with the copters, I thought maybe upgrading to a lighter camera would be easier and/or more cost effective. The SX230 HS is a bit dated, and maybe there's something better/lighter.

So....Any recommendations? I need to stay with Canon as I use CHDK. And GPS tagging of the EXIF file by the camera is a must.

Thanks for any pointers.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Tom,

Good question.  I am thinking of getting in to AP and if you don't mind, I was curious to know when you use this camera with chdk does this also require an IR light to trigger the photo? 

I hope that is not too off topic, if so, I apologize.

• I use the KAP UAV Exposure Control Script after trying a few others. I start it off just prior to a flight, and am not concerned about triggering at a specific location. With the SX230 I get a high quality image every three seconds. Memory cards are cheap so I just delete the images I don't want. Check out the link. The script is still being actively maintained an updated.

• I'm a bit confused, I always thought this camera is one of the smallest and lightest around of a very decent quality. I'm upgrading to a 260HS now though. The only thing that could improve on that camera is a CCD perhaps. 260HS has GPS.

• I came to the SX230 from a much lighter Canon without GPS, so that's my point of reference. But after looking around it may well be that the SX230 and its more recent version are the lightest show in town.

This reply was deleted.

Activity