The only instructions (http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/planning-a-mission-with-waypoints-and-events/) I have found for "How to prefetch a stored mission map" only shows how to save the map tiles - barely. It doesn't show how prefetching a map for an area goes on, and on loading until you hit escape. And it absolutely does not show you how to actually load the saved map after you have saved it, as the title promises. I found all the folders in \mission planner\gmapcache from clues given in various discussions. How do you load them for use?

Also, can you prefetch multiple areas and name the files so you can load whichever area you are flying, or do you have to go back home and start over for a different area?

I apologize if these questions are answered somewhere, but I can't find any comprehensive tutorial anywhere.

Thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• After reading all about here, this is what I did:
    With the computer on line I
    Open Flight Plan tab
    Zoomed to my interest place
    Prefetch as everybody told. Aborting the process after level 19 was prefetched.

Turn off and on again the notebook
    Then without any internet (totally offline)
    I went on the same place and there it was the pictures up to the level that I aborted the prefetch. Beyond that level the picture loose it's accuracy and became blurred

For myself this is enough to go on a field and do my job
  • I don't know if you guys still need this information but I know how hard information can be to find when using Walkera products. Everything is a learning process. Here's how you load the maps in Mission Planner, regardless of the version.

First you must right click and select Plan a Mission this will give you the ability to make changes.

On the right hand side you can select the type of maps you want to use, if you select Google maps (non satellite) it will bring up the whole world and you can move it to your area of the globe. Then change back to Google maps satellite and follow the instructions below: (Hope this helps, good luck and safe flying!)

To pre-fetch maps in Mission Planner:
    On the Flight Plan screen, zoom to the area of your flying location. (To select a specific area, hold the ALT key and draw a box over the area.) Right-click on the map, select Map Tool and Prefetch, and accept the defaults prompts. Mission Planner will load the map data for your location; this can take up to a few hours. (Mission Planner will load all zoom level from the current level through the most detailed. Press the ESC key to skip the more detailed zoom levels and speed up the prefetching process.)

• Ok we'll good luck. Have you tried to load them and then use mission planner off line? I'm curios so I'll try when I get home and let you know.
    • I understand but I thought once maps are loaded they are there. Never used it offline, that's what cell phone Hotspot is for!
      • Yes, but 75% of our usage is in areas where there is no cell phone coverage. Thus we have to preload everything. Hopefully somebody else out there may have tried this.

Thanks for trying to help.

• Hook up to internet, load maps and they will be on that PC. Good luck!
      • Hi Mark,

We need to assume there is NO internet connection in the field. So, we prefetch maps to office computer. Copy to USB. Copy to Ground Station computer, possibly in the field.

How do make Mission Planner find and use them, even though they are copied to the same place as all the other maps ?? It did not seem to work.

Thanks

• Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I have managed to prefetch maps of the area I care about. I took a guess that I had to copy these folders to next computer I wished to use them on when an internet link was unavailable. Unfortunately when I arrived at this place I did not seem able to access them.

If anyone has any more info on the copying and access steps of saved maps I would be grateful. Australia is a very large place and their are plenty of places we need to fly that do not even have mobile phone coverage !!

Thanks

• So, how do we transfer tiles, or even a whole map from one computer to another ? Do we have to copy everything in the gmapcache folder ?

What if you only want to copytiles for a certain area ?

Thanks

• @Jani, so sad I have to use this mean to reach to you, since no one at Jdrones seems to care about a package ordered and never delivered. I tried to contact anyone there in many occasions and never got a response (order 6426).

In fact, this this the second time I have an issue with items ordered at Jdrones and again, tried contacting you or anyone many times with cero response....  thanks in advance

This reply was deleted.

Activity