APMPlanner VS Mission Planner -- SOLVED

Just wanted to share some experience to hopefully prevent others from having the same issues.

Long story short:TRY DIFFERENT SOFTWARE AND/OR COMPUTER BEFORE MAKING HARDWARE CHANGES

I had been out of the APM scene for a couple years and recently upgraded my quad to a Y6 and bought a pixhawk FC. I wasnt even able to load firmware from Linux laptop using APMplanner onto Pixhawk. Connected to APMplanner on Windows, got some audible tones and now able to load firmware yay! Camera gimbal not working (even though everything connected correctly). Could not figure out what was wrong and finally found a post just like this one. Installed Mission Planner and connected, did gimbal setup and now works perfectly. Obviously there are some bugs in APM Planner that are not writing settings correctly(update: there was a bug for camera gimbal and it has been fixed). That being said, dont spend hours reconnected things only to go back to exactly how you had everything setup, when you simply needed to use Mission Planner instead of APM Planner or vice-versa.

I hope this saves some one else some trouble.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I flash all my firmware (ArduPlane And ArduCopter) using APM Planner for Linux.   Works great.

Not sure how you got it to fail, but it may be something trivial like you failed to remove modemmanager.

As for gimbal config problems.   I think most was solved long time ago - I did not check.

https://github.com/diydrones/apm_planner/issues/440

And anyway;  you would do more good by submitting an issue, than posting a huge "beware" - I hope you dont do that for all the bugs you find in MP :)

• What version of Linux are you running? I am on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and modemmanager is removed.

I don't think the gimbal issue was solved, hence the camera problems. My point is that it is very hard to troubleshoot hardware issues with faulty software. Before you start changing hardware, try Mission Planner on a windows machine, Try APM Planner on Linux, whatever, but try diff software first, it may save you some time and headache.

• Ubuntu 14.10

This reply was deleted.

Activity