Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area.  Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.




Bug fixes:


The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.


Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers.  Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!


As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion.  For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list.  Note:  you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item.  On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.

Views: 64983

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok Robert i agree, next and this time i put the hash for reference!

What's your power supply when not plugged into the USB cable for mission planner?

This is not working for me.

Please take a look to attached pic.

Flying 2.4.1.

Slow flying and turning around, is not a problem. It flys smoth and nicelly.

Now I have tried following:

Fly 30 mts away, and then return fast in stabilized mode. When trying to stop the movement I input pitch in the opposite direction. The copter pitch for some seconds in the correct direction and then stops reacting to the pitch input and takes some time to recover.

This only happends if there is some speed involved.

The copters reacts very well to high pitch commands as long as there are no big desacelerations.

Any advice? I have had already to many crashes....

Would this get any better with APM 2 and DMP?



Hi Pablo,

I have this too, and seems to be normal if you have a too high RATE_D. I don't know what is the value you have in RATE_P_D and RATE_R_D, but I'm now using a more "conservator" value of 0.003 ! Today I tested it with 0.012 value and after pitching or rolling to one side untill it gained full speed, if put the stick in neutral quickly, the quad made a sudden "brake", leaning on the opposite direction (mine was almost at 90º ... AMAZING but scary), and when that D term is "braking" the quad, until it stabilized, did not respond to stick in the same direction, so try to lower your RATE D term a bit to see if it gets better.

About Loiter strategy

Current loiter algorithm uses ground speed in X and Y (calculated from GPS position data) as control output with the objective to minimize the position error from the loiter target point. So as long as there is a position error, the algorithm will output a target speed which in turn is fed into attitude control. Attitude makes it move towards target. Speed is calculated and compared with target speed. Speed error fed back into the loop, resulting in attitude changes. To me, the speed management just seems like a detour, which possibly also causes phase lag due to the nature of ground speed calculation.

A simpler and more direct control loop would be to use the position error via PID as an input to the attitude controller, without bothering about speed targets and errors. In short, the bigger position error, the bigger attitude angle towards the target. And PID processing still applies. Correctly tuned the PID would find the exact attitude that makes the copter stay close to the loiter target.

Can anybody explain why we currently employ the "speed" strategy? What is the benefit?

I have a gut feeling that the attitude strategy would be more robust and effective.
It would be really interesting to try it. Pity I don´t have the programming skills yet to implement it... Anybody...?  ;-)

/ Tomas

HI Robert

im powered by lipo when not connected to usb - apm powerd by 1 esc and rx powered by apm2 - shows the radio input correctly  when only connected to usb only also....

im totally confused cause the rx works 100% when connected to servo or esc?

Hola Rui,

               all D parameters are set to 0.001

Maybe is a sililar issue, but on my copter only happen when is travelling with certain speed and you try to make it brake.

Lets see what the gurus tell us.


Pitch/Roll rate D P set too low maybe?

im not at home at the moment - i have not made any changes to the defaults yet....any tips im flying 11x4.7 props on ntm 3536 910kv motors and 780mm motor centre to motor centre....

thx for hte help....

Could just be a funny leftover parameter from testing if you didn't erase/reset after loading, or as Robert suggests, the Rx is browning out and acting strange when there is current being pulled by the motors.

Note the small change I edited above, that should be rate P. I can reproduce your problem at will by lowering them to 0.

Ok! thats good to know, thanks Graham

If STAB_R and STAB_P are too low, that may happen too. When I first tunned STAB with ch6 and started from 0, I had no pitch or roll, only when I started increasing the values it begun to respond.


Reply to Discussion



Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2018   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service