Arducopter 2.9 for TradHeli Discussion

I am opening this topic to serve as the go-to place for talking about the upcoming 2.9 software release for Trad Helis.  I think this will be necessary as 2.9 will have SIGNIFICANT changes in the way that the helis fly, and also in the settings you will use.

Yesterday, I flew 4 packs of "2.9 - rc2" from the downloads section on my 450 heli.  The file is located here:

http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/downloads/detail?name=ArduCopter-2.9-rc2.zip&can=2&q=#makechanges

I would be interested in having some other people try some test flying with this.  I'll have to walk you through the setup, as it requires a bit of work to get a flying parameter setting using the rate controllers which are now active.  You CANNOT fly using the old parameters for Stabilize PID.  Don't even try it.  Also, the Alt_Hold parameters will have significantly changed.

This is slightly complicated by the fact that we have some new Heli-specific Rate PID parameters called "Rate_Pitch_FF", also for Roll and Yaw.  Unfortunately these are only accessible in MP from the Advanced Parameters List.  Hopefully I can get that fixed.  What I'd like to do is for TradHeli, in MP, remove the Rate_Pitch_D, in the Config PID screen, and replace it with Rate_Pitch_FF.  This is because I have found the D-term to be completely unusable anyway.  The FF is feed-forward.  This was what I found was the key to getting the heli to be able to fly in rate mode.  Basically, it is like P-term, but has no error correction.  It's sort of like this:

P-output = P-term x (Rate Input - Current Rate)

FF-output = FF-term x Rate Input

then you also have the I-term output.  So the total servo command is:

Servo-output = P-output + I-output + FF-output

I have also implemented the FF on the yaw controller, and found that it actually helps to stop the slight "tail wag" that we always had.  

There are also some new settings for the collective.  These are Stab_Col_Min and Stab_Col_Max.  What these are for is sort of like Idle-up pitch curves.  You can now set up your swash plate with full negative pitch, maybe a range of -10° to +10°, or +/-12°, but when flying in Stabilize mode, you can set Stab_Col_Min to reduce the amount of negative pitch available to something like -3° or whatever you prefer.  This gives a nice soft feel.  However, in Acro mode, you will get the full range, and also the auto-pilot modes get the full range.  For example, I set my Col_Min and Col_Max to give me +/-10°, and then I set Stab_Col_Min to 40, which is 40%, and this changes the negative pitch to only -2° in Stab mode.

The only thing to know here is that when you change modes between Acro and Stab, the swash-plate will jump up and down, so you have to be ready for it.  It's no different than using Idle-up in your Tx.

My test flights yesterday went quite well.  The Alt_Hold now works beautifully, and I actually prefer landing in Alt_Hold rather than Stabilize!  I also did a few flips with it in Acro mode (very ugly, I'm not good at this) using full negative collective when upsidedown, and it worked well.  It didn't seem to get confused.  Finally, I tried going into Acro, rolling it over upside-down or sideways, then back to Stabilize, and it flipped right way up which is good.

The only problem I have seen so far is that when flying in Alt_Hold, if you push the cyclic full forward and get up a high speed, the altitude starts to oscillate badly.  I suspect this is a classic "phugoid", or pitch/throttle oscillation.  We'll have to work on this. However it seems to fly well up to about 1/2 Vmax.  

I'll try to post my Parameter file here tonight, but I caution that the settings will be HIGHLY dependent on your servo speed, as well as many other setup differences.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I too have been quietly following along :-) The weather here has finally become conducive to flying and I'm getting ready to go through the 600efl in prep for a weekend of fun.

When I put it away for the winter I was on 1.7.3 or something and I need a quick and tidy 101 on how to get the APM2.5 up to speed on 2.9.1. There is a lot of changes to be aware of and I'm afraid I'm totally lost as to what needs "tweaking" and what to now leave untouched???

Also I still have the Optical flow sensor wired to the memory chip which was the work around to make it work without the I2C bus screwing up the data flow... Where are we on the OF sensor it traditional heli?
  • This is awesome work.  I am in the process of taking my FB T-Rex 450SEV2 to flybarless and adding the APM2.5.  I have a Spektrum DX8, but need to get an 8 channel receiver.

I have read this thread through from the beginning.  There have been a lot of "add this configuration"  "change this configuration" discussions.  There is so much info it is a bit confusing.  I am not a programmer but I can muddle my way through some programming languages.  This is a first for me on Arduino.  so, now to the questions.

I have, I think, the Arduino IDC installed.  Downloaded the libraries for ArduCopter-2.9.1b-final and ArduCopter-3.0-rc1

I don't have the APM2.5 in hand yet so i'm not sure how far I can get with out it?

I was going to go back through the discussions and collect all the  configuration tweeks in the discussions but wonder of that has already been done?

Anyway Thanks, I am sure there will be lots of questions once all the hardware is in in place.

• Bummer, crashed my 600 today.  It had been going so well.

I was attempting running waypoints at 25 m/s, and it was generally going well.  But, long story short, on one run it didn't, and it way overshot the target landing spot and went over the parking lot.  I then mistakenly threw the Thr Hold switch instead of the Stabilized mode switch.  And... the rest is history.

Not too bad, I have most of the parts.  I did blow 1 servo so that sucks.  And of course the main blades.  And I lost a collective turn-buckle.  Usually one of those things get thrown into a parallel dimension.  Boom.  Probably the main shaft too.  Etc. etc.

Real bummer is Hobby King is pretty much out of 600 blades.  I'll have to run some beater blades I have lying around.

• Out of curiosity would there ever be a mode that is like rate mode? Basically making the sticks like a arcade mode forward lets say is like 4 meters per second same with left and right. This would be good for any Joe off the street to pick up the controls and fly the helicopter. I would imagine a lot more people would be willing to fly helicopters if they could control it this way. 

• Had a really good tuning session today.  I changed the Pitch and Roll Stab P terms to 1, which allowed me to crank the Rate PID gains way up.  I was at like RateP =0.2, and now 0.8.  It's is much more stable at speed now.  

I suggest everybody play around with these numbers.  

I'm not done tuning yet, but it's getting really solid.  Full speed flying now is much more stable.  The Pitch "knife edge" is gone. 

• Joly, really nice tip!  I turned my Stab_Yaw_P term down to 1, and I like the feel much better.  In fact, I was able to turn up the P-gain from 2 to about 3.  It holds much more solid now.  Pretty good feeling.  It feels much better.

I suggest everybody try this.

Also, I found that during very high speed flight (up to 126 km/h) the tail would start wagging badly.  I put the Yaw Rate P gain on the knob, with high and low set for 0.3 to 0.15.  If I turned the knob down at high speed, the tail held nicely without juddering.

Today I managed to fly Alt_Hold at 120 km/h as well.  It did really well.  The only problem is that pitch is like a knife-edge.  You have to be super gentle on the stick or it pops badly.

I plan to try flying waypoints with a speed of 30 m/s tomorrow.  That I think will be my ultimate goal in preparation for the Sparkfun Challenge in June.  

I'm going to try doing the same thing on the pitch axis.  Turning Stab_P down to 1, and then seeing if I can increase the Rate gain.  I bet I can.  And it will help with the high speed flying I think.

Lastly, I manage to get a full 3D acro mode working.  Not done yet, but I can do forward and backwards flips and rolls.  And it's well stabilized.  It actually is working quite well.  I'm pretty happy.  Unfortunately I had a little crash on the 450 as a result of this.  Don't think I even broke the blades but I stripped some servo gears. :(

The latest acro changes are NOT in my clone yet, so don't pull it!

• Thank you for your replies.

I had the automated magnetometer-learning enabled. Maybe that's the reason why it doesn't work as I want.

This was reflected in a circle around the spot with a diameter of about 50 meters.

I use the UBLOX Lea 6 module as gps module. I read that it works very good for our Application.

Unfortunately, I'm able to make the next flight on Tuesday next week.
    Till then I want to callibrate the compass on the ground.

Nice greets from Austria

• 3692693658?profile=original3692693609?profile=original3692693685?profile=originalJust wanted to post some pictures of my Helicopter. 

• Hy guys,

I saw some videos from your Helis in Loiter Mode.

The heli were staying very rigid in the air.

I'm using a TREX 700E and want to fly this heli with apm 2.5 version 2.91 autonomously.

Currently I want to adjust the PID parameter. The stabilize and the Altitude Hold Mode is working perfect, but I have some problems with the Loiter values.

So would it be possible to send me your PID values of the loiter mode? I think they have to be very similar.

Thanks.

Nice Greets from Austria

• Hey guys, I have a bit of a noobish question

Yaw is too touchy for me with my new setup. I cant tune it down with dual rates in my TX because it wont arm if I do that. Can anyone suggest a way around this? Maybe P gain? Stab P gain?

This reply was deleted.

Activity