Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Adolfo,

Thanks for testing it out.  I haven't completed my analysis but part of the problem is a bad tune and/or a bad center of gravity on the frame.  Is there a camera on the front perhaps that makes the vehicle nose heavy?

3702768320?profile=originalThere's also significant overshoot on the Roll so maybe the Rate Roll P is too high.  Have you given AutoTune a try?

3702768301?profile=original

• Randy,

Autotune does not seam to get it. Please see the attached logs.

On the first log I was flying with pid settings close to the stock ones. After autotune the first thing I immediately notice has wobbles when descending.

Have a look when you have the time.

I have one setting that I don't now how to tune. The Imax parameter. I don't understand it. Can you explain? with some kind of example maybe?

2014-09-30 18-54-42.log

2014-09-30 19-02-00.log

2014-09-30 19-09-28.log

• Adolpho, I am in the same situation as you. I have a QR-X350 frame, with an APM and after autotuning, notice also has wobbles when descending (special in Auto).

Any idea how to fix it?

• Well, it's the same thing at the end but I don't have a apm inside the 350 but actually have the devo-m running apm firmware.
                Regarding the wobbles, I'm learning all I can about pid controllers to manually tune the 350 pids. Autotune does not work on this frame.
                But my first impressions are that the 4.5 values on the stabilize are too high.
                Second find is that the roll and pitch values will not end even close to symmetrical.
                This weekend I'll try another tunning session.
                • Developer

Adolfo,

Normally it's the rate roll/pitch P values that are most critical to get right.

• Thank you Randy. I'll keep that in mind and try my best !!

• The frame is the walkera 350 pro, should not be cg ( no camera attached).

I'm still learning to read logs. I did notice that pitch difference you pointed out but it's the autotune result. I admit I have to redo it because of some wind on that day. I'll share results from a second autotune.

But I do see on the logs, both cases when I armed in stabilize or loiter ( i like to arm in loiter because of the high hdop protection ), switched to auto, raised the throttle and the copter did not go up like it should. ?! In Althold and loiter it goes up correctly. 

• Hello Randy
        Thank you for your answer and your fast fix.
        I will try to upload master on my Apm and give it a try.

Thanks
    • Developer

Thomas,

Ok, the vehicle is definitely having problems with the take-off!  I think it's one of two possible problems:

1. we do not reset the target position during the short period between when the vehicle is put into AUTO flight mode and when the pilot raises the throttle.  During this period the position can move a bit and it can lead to the vehicle trying hard to correct this horizontal position error immediately as it takes off. It the logs, it's clear it's asking for a 20+ degree lean angle immediately.

This immediate request of 20deg is a known issue (related to this one) so I'll try and fix it for AC3.2 although this will lead to another release candidate.

I think AC3.1.5 has the same issue although I have not compared their behaviour in this particular situation.

3702522029?profile=originalThe other thing though is that the Roll and Pitch of the copter don't repond immediately and when it does respond it massively overshoots.  This makes it seem like a tuning issue or perhaps one motor didn't start properly.  It could be a physical thing though (like the vehicle hasn't gotten off the ground yet) or perhaps I-term build up while it's still on the ground.

For the CH6 tuning, it looks like the TUNE parameter is set to zero...

• Hi, I may have found a minor bug about props not spinning when armed.

When I do normal RC calibration with my Aurora 9 radio I get the RC3 values:

RC3_DZ,30
    RC3_MAX,1919
    RC3_MIN,1116
    RC3_REV,1
    RC3_TRIM,1116

When I use these, props does not spin when armed (just when rising throttle), but if I change min and trim to 1119 they do.

RC3_MIN,1119

RC3_TRIM,1119

I have always have this prob since the feature was implemented.

I think its because of fluctuations in the signal either in calibration or when trying to arm.

Anyone else has this prob?

This reply was deleted.

Activity