Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Did you balance the new larger props?

If not then do it, cos all the times that people here have had quads fly away or climb rapidly in any mode other than stabilize it has been due to high vibrations causing the flight controller to want to climb.

Check for high Z values in the logs also!

• Randy, So we don't clutter this thread, is there a preferred thread or site to make suggestions for 3.3?

• My pixhawk running 3.2rc13 tried to fly away yesterday.  After a few resets, it works again (still a little glitchy).  I think I'll reset, recalibrate and reload.

In the tlog, you see that it had compass issues so I recalibrated compasses and tried to fly.  

Upon switching to auto it took off and then...the heli tried to fly over the trees.  I took control manually and brought it back before the trees (although the telemetry shows where it would have gone had I not taken it).  As I brought it back manually, it was a little difficult to control and out of trim but I brought it back OK.  

Looking at the telemetry shows that it was way out of whack for a little while.

Bin file shows tons of glitches.

I'm glad I had the switch to stabilize ready to go.

2014-11-06 12-13-35.tlog

34.BIN

• Randy and Co.

I've noticed a problem that surfaced recently.  In both of my helis running 3.2 rc 13 (EKF).  When I disarm after a flight, the position of the craft returns to home.  No matter where the craft is, telemetry has it smack dab in the middle of the home circle.  An Arm or FM reset will solve it but it still is an issue if I want to see where my heli is after disarm.

An example in the attached log:

After a flight that lands at a rally point at 34% the position zips to home back on the taxiway on disarm at 35% (it's still at the rally point at the end of the runway).  I rearmed and flew some and then hand-carried it back to the pits 58-60%.  (still shows at end of runway).  

I worked on it until the end of the log in the pits but still showed the wrong position.  

I looked at a log from the 25th of October and this problem is not there.  Two things that have changed:  EKF enable and rc13 from 12. Anyone else experiencing this?

2014-11-06 11-40-31.tlog

• The cause of this problem is the EKF enable.  When I switch the EKF on, the heli position lat long erroneously indicates that it's at home (while disarmed).  As soon as I change AHRS EKF Enable to 0, it works fine and valid position is indicated.

I'm running rc 14 now.  I like EKF but don't like erroneous indications.  Is this just my problem?

• Hello,
    I just found out that ATC_ACCEL_RP_MAX limits don't work in PosHold in rc14.
    My tricopter is nice and soft in althold and stabilize but too snappy in PosHold.
    Could you please test this? I will probably start from scratch because autotune is giving me different pids every time.
    Thank you!
  • Developer

I've just made a blog post asking the wider community to give AC3.2 a try (stil through the Beta Firmware's link).

So if you download the BetaFirmware version now you should find that it's AC3.2 (if you look closely at the top of the dataflash logs or if you are using Pixhawk you can use the terminal window).  This version is renamed but it's exactly the same as -rc14.

Thanks again to all you who put your copters at risk during the testing of this major release!

• I can't seem to upload the mission files so:
    http://www.droneshare.com/#/mission/31419 TLOG file

It has auto tune parameters, auto and pothole. THis is the one with poor MAG and AHRS settings but EKF seemed to handle it very well. Hope this helps:
  • hi randy

is there a setting in rc 14 for logs as if I fly my pixhawk quad then whiles still powered can down load logs but after disconnecting battery and reconnecting log disappears without erasing previously I did not have this problem ?

stuart

• Developer

@stubugs,

No, I haven't seen that before and we don't have a setting like that..

This reply was deleted.

Activity