Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That good because I guess if you were having some issues you could turn this on or off and compare. Good info thanks :]

• Hi All,

Question about dataflash logs.
    APM2.5, Arducopter 3.2 last release.

With the previous Mission planner, and Mission planner2 erasing dataflash logs gives me problems.
    After erasing dataflash logs via mavlink, the APM does not log anymore and gives me either NO logs, or 1 0 byte log, or a very big single log. Erasing with either mission planner does not give any results.
    In the past with AC 3.1.5 I could connect terminal and erase via the CLI, which solved the problem. But not in 3.2 there is no CLI anymore.

Anybody any ideas how to fix for future erasing without flashing 3.1.5 firmware and using terminal??

//Ed

• Developer

Ed,

I think if you upgrade to the beta mission planner you should be able to erase logs without any problems.  Could you give that a try? 

Once we do the official AC3.2 the normal stable mission planner will be the one to use.

• hi,

my quad is also updated to 3.2 and i just returned from a flight under very stormy conditions. apart from the fact that my copter is an amazing piece of hardware :-) i am very satisfied with this release. thanks a lot for all the efforts.

one question: is everything GOOD ?

Test: Autotune = UNKNOWN - No ATUN log data
    Test: Balance/Twist = GOOD -
    Test: Brownout = GOOD -
    Test: Compass = GOOD - mag_field interference within limits (21.95%)
    Max mag field length (562.30) > recommended (550.00)

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
    Test: Empty = GOOD -
    Test: Event/Failsafe = GOOD -
    Test: GPS = GOOD -
    Test: IMU Mismatch = GOOD - (Mismatch: 0.55, WARN: 0.75, FAIL: 1.50)
    Test: Parameters = GOOD -
    Test: PM = GOOD -
    Test: Pitch/Roll = GOOD -
    Test: Thrust = GOOD -
    Test: VCC = GOOD -

thx

peter

• Developer

Peter,

Good to see the Auto log analyser is useful.

Those results look good.  the max mag field length is just barely over the recommended number so that's no problem.  the mag-field is under 30% which is also fine.  The IMU mismatch (which shows vibration) is 0.55 which is below the warning level of 0.75.

• Randy,

thank you for the clarification. I was a little confused about the additional information in terms of compass and imu.

Peter

• Randy the mag_field from some of my logs is above 30%, I get messages like this:

Test: Compass = FAIL - Large change in mag_field (43.65%)

My pixhawk is mounted on a TBS Discovery with Neo 6m GPS/Compass mounted on a pole 12cm above the top plate.

Already did compass calibration, compass+mot which showed 1% interference...

What could be happening?

• Ok Randy .. Here is an important question .. How does Pixhawk handle one motor failure on a Hexa ?  Or how should it handle the scenario ? Not very well in practice, I tried 5 times .. with disastrous results ! 

Regards Reuben

• Developer

Reuben,

I've heard mixed reports about whether it can handle a motor failure or not.  A Y6 is certainly fine but I'm less sure about a hexacopter.  It's on the to-do list here along with some discussion about whether it works or not.

• Hello,

I've been flying my 250 quad with 3.2 beta release candidates for quite some time now.

The inclusion of the mpu filter parameter made that possible so thanks a lot for that.

After a bad crash due to overloading my quad with a gimbal I was experiencing alt hold (barometer) issues.

I reset the software, installed 3.2 for wider use, and moved the controller to a 450 flamewheel frame for troubleshooting reasons as I couldn't find the root cause on the small one.

Everything worked great for the first flight with alt hold working perfectly.

During the second flight I experienced continuous radio failsafes after I reached 50 meters.

Is this related to the reduction of the late frames timeout?

The receiver was indeed flashing for lost connections, shouldn't I be getting a throttle failsafe instead though? 

On the third flight I moved the controller below the quad and I reached 120 meters without an issue.

I attach the log from the second flight in case it helps.

Thank you, I really appreciate your work!

Regards,

Yiannis 

2014-11-09 16-29-38.bin

2014-11-09 16-29-38.log

This reply was deleted.

Activity