Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Are there any news about Yaw Autotune? On github it is anounced to be within 3.2 (#874). But in Randys listing is nothing about it.

• O Noble Dev Deities, can we please have a clue when Beta 3.2 will be back on line? Thanks!

• 3.2-rc1 can be downloaded from here : http://firmware.diydrones.com/Copter/2014-05/2014-05-09-05:05/

(first git-version.txt with 3.2-rc1 tag)

• @Bravojul: Got mine from:http://firmware.diydrones.com/Copter/2014-05/2014-05-22-12:05/apm2-...

just thought that 22nd of may would be more recent..?

• Developer

Ah right, yes.  You can get the last build from any day directly from firmware.diydrones.com/Copter/.  So if you open that web page you'll see each day going back a couple of weeks and "beta", "latest" and "stable".  so the one that appears in the MP's Beta Firmware's link are the ones from the "beta" directory.  "stable" is the official release and "latest" are just the completely development versions (i.e. untested).  Inside of each of those directories you'll see another directory for each board and frame.  These binaries can be loaded with the MP's "load custom firmware" link on the firmware page.  That "load custom firmware" link can only be see if you've checked the "advanced view" checkbox on the mission planner's config > planner page.

Generally we ask people to test Beta 'cuz that's risky enough but some brave people fly latest.  I wouldn't recommend it though!

• Hi Randy, i want to test the "latest" AC3.2-rc1(

Date:   Thu May 22 21:13:48 2014 +0900).  Does this"latest version" already includes the fix for "unexpected roll/pitch when switch to hybrid"?.  Thanks so much.
            • Developer

Henri,

Thanks for the feedback.

Willy,

Yes it does include the Hybrid initialisation fix.  That bug was my mistake but Julien D (the creator of Hybrid) found the issue and fixed it.  The joy's of open-source cooperation!

AC3.2-rc2 will include a couple of extra things beyond what is in master.  In particular we will enable the Parachute deployment and "Rally Points" from Andrew Chapman but only for the Pixhawk.  I'll see if I can get some wiki pages done for those too.

• Loaded the "latest" AC3.2-rc1(Date:  Thu May 22 21:13:48 +0900).  Just came back from the field and......

a) first flight:  Stabilize mode and Alt Hold -  It was quite windy but the copter was flying smoothly and nicely with predictable attitude. Switching from Stab to Alt Hold and back is seamless with no change in the behavior of the copter. 

b.  Second flight: Stabilize/Alt Hold/Hybrid - it is confirmed that the "unexpected roll/pitch when switching to Hybrid" has been corrected. When switching from Stab to Alt Hold, then Hybrid, the copter remains stable with no stick input...it has rock solid hover! Forward and backward flight were straight and the braking behavior is nice. Although, maybe because of the wind, there's a tendency to descend when flying sideways. Using hybrid, the copter did figure eight flight like an airplane at 40 meters height - great for fpv flying.

c. Third flight: plotted 4.5 km flight plan with spline waypoints - the copter did a fantastic flight. The turns were smooth with no abrupt pitch, roll and yaw behavior; maintaining its altitude ....well, it is simply amazing! 

Thanks to James for doing the first flight.

To Randy, Julien, Dev Team - You guys are the BEST!

• Sorry to be here again but regarding version: 22-May-2014 12:53 and failsafe

FrSky  receiver failsafe set to RTL and throttle output value to 920 (Obviously < 975)

APM set to RTL on throttle lower than 975

APM Rssi: set to ignore in APM

APM GPS failsafe: set to land

Then on switching off Tx while in loiter and banking left seems that land mode was engaged as planned. 

But as descending slowly towards the ground (as programmed in APM 30 cm/s) did continue to move horizontally until touch down on the ground. no damage but flip upside down.

• Thank you for this, Randy.

I flew this "latest" one: 22-May-2014 12:53. (didn't know the difference between Beta and Latest.)

Stabilize: ok

Alt hold: ok

Loiter: move around 70cm to 1 meter with 11 sats and hdop 1.7 in moderate wind.

Improvements in altitude control while circling slowly to do a camera pan on 360 (loiter mode)

Loiter: Perfect in no wind condition.

Hybrid: same (Just guesstimate) in no wind but fun to move around! Loved the breaking scheme!! Meaning: going in one direction fast and releasing the sticks! Great!!

RTL: no problem (with altitude set to 0 to force auto land)

Land: No problem

Simple mode: Tested with Alt hold, Loiter and Hybrid. Great! nothing to report (except it works).

This reply was deleted.

Activity