Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• was able to get some logs from the rc4 flight: 

what is ERR16? 

board is apm2.6 by 3dr    July2013 production. 

2014-08-01 02-16-55.7z

• Developer

Artem,

Ok ERR16 is the EKF check.  So this can happen if anything that goes into the horizontal position estimate is bad which is:

1. accelerometers not calibrated

2. the compass is misaligned

3. GPS is glitching a lot

This check is a new feature so it's possible that we've got the threshold set too low.  If you think your vehicle is generally flying ok then you could try increasing the EKFCHECK_THRESH from 0.6 to maybe 0.8 and see if that clears it up.  If you need to raise it to above 1.0 to stop the warnings then I think there's definitely something wrong with the setup.

Looking forward to your feedback on what threshold works because, it's a new check and getting the balance between safety and sensitivity is a tough call.

• Randy, Thank you! 

replaced mag/gps and no more errors! 

p.s. is there a full list of error codes somewhere?   

• Hi Randy, last night loaded rc4 onto my tri, everything is very smooth, but I am missing posHold/hybrid from the flight mode list, downgrading to rc3 brings it back. Another, question, I use big blades 15" on 4s/6s depending on the loading/mission so decent props are about ~50 a pair CW/CCW. back in 3.1.2 I remember that my tricopter didn't care which way motors spins so I was using both blades in the pack. Last night I didn't have all 3 CCW so I used 1 CW, what I realized is that over time tri starts very slowly rotating CW, this breaks loiter, so after ~20secs of rock solid loiter copter starts slowly rotating CW and than starts moving in random directions pretty fast (GPS 11 hdop1.8). I assume this is because in the 3.2 yaw corrections also rely on correct motor spin direction. This is maybe fine when you have 10"-11" blades but very unpractical since I will not be using the second blade in the pack (haven't seen a seller with 2 CCW 15" props in a pack). I realize there is a good reason behind incorporating motor spin direction ion the yaw formula, but it would be awesome if we could be able to change the motor spin direction in MP. I hope you see my logic and the benefits of this option for tri users. 

• Hi Randy.

I have a Tricopter and have some issues with Poshold.

In RC3 Poshold startded to drift really hard sometimes if i flyed the Tri really extream with alot of quick turn ect.

But today i tested RC4 Poshold and totaly lost controll in Poshold, copter didnt respond to roll or picht input but yaw and althold worked.

This happen 3 times in one flight.

2014-08-01 18-12-52.log

• Developer

For those who fly ACRO, here's a video from JoshW of ACRO on AC3.2.

• Just reporting my experience with RC3.
    I upgraded my 3DR X8 (2014) to RC3.

I ran through the recommended calibs.

I've tried almost every mode with no major issues, the only problem I have found is that the horizontal speed seems to be limited in Stab and AltHold mode compared to loiter and auto.

Perhaps its a PID I haven't found yet, I tried looking for it and adjusting things up but haven't found it yet.

In Loiter mode I can move the X8 around quite quickly but as soon as I flick to Stab or Alt Hold mode the X8 is obviously being limited in either its max tilt or horizontal speed.

All the Tilt max settings I could find are on 45 and all the speed limiting PIDs I could find are set to 1600.

• Developer

Toby,

if you have a dataflash log we can probably figure out what's wrong.  You should have full control of the lean angle in stabilize and alt hold.  the ANGLE_MAX parameter is the one that could limit you there but that *should* limit the lean angle in all modes so I would still expect Stab and AltHold to be at least as fast horizontally as the auto modes (loiter, etc).

txs for testing.

• Ok, an update, I flew again today in virtually no wind, it appears the max speed is actually the same in all modes.

Yesterday when I first saw the problem it was quite windy. The X8 could easily overcome the wind in Loiter, Auto and RTL modes. However in Alt Hold and Stabilise mode, even with the stick fully forward it could barely get through the wind.

Today with no wind, the max speed in all modes is actually the same.

The other thing I noticed today is that tilting sideways in Alt Hold and Stabilise I can tilt to the full 45 degrees and go very fast, however I cannot achieve the same tilt forward and back in these modes so the speed is limited.

• log file attached

74.log

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702762431?profile=original
This reply was deleted.

Activity