Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Finished swapping from APM 2.6 to Pixhawk yesterday. Testing today was fine in Stabilize and Alt-Hold, but Loiter was scary. Switching to loiter resulted in a increasingly fast drift off in any direction it seemed to feel like going in. I let it go for as long as I dared (say 10 seconds) and then had to stop it manually by switching to Stab. It did not seem to be toilet bowling, just a straight line. 
    Done cal on both mags when I set it up yesterday (and again today). 

Loiter was rock solid with same copter and GPS module before on APM 2.6. 

Lots of EKF-Check-2 and EKF-check-0 in the error log, plus an odd Flight_mode-5 error.

Martin

• I too am having this issue with the new HKpilot micro, did you find a solution?

2015-01-29 11-18-43.log

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702544561?profile=original
      • What issues are you having with you HK pilot Micro? Mine will not let me arm the system even with all the pre checks disabled. The esc's don't go through the complete arming sequence either.

Chris Hass

• Turn on all the preflight checks, and calibrate your ESCs as shown here: http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/initial-setup/esc-motor/ If that doesn't help then reply with what prearm checks it fails. I assume you've followed the guide as above, but if not then try starting from scratch with the wizard and follow the instructions on the website: http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/table-of-contents/

I fixed my issue with EKF error 2 all the time, turns out I had the compass orientation set wrong, similarly to the APM2.5 if the arrow on the main board and GPS point the same way on the way side then it is roll 180. My other issue with the wandering loiter mode turns out to be not leaving it plugged in for 3 minutes before arming, I saw a video on youtube a while back that explains and shows why this is needed (if anyone can find it that would be great) but it fixed the issue mine had.

• I was referring above specifically to the HK pilot micro here, the hardware is similar to the APM 2.5, so the compass setting is the same if the flight controller and GPS are in the same relative positions.

• Developer

I just want to clarify that if the Pixhawk and GPS are mounted so the white arrows are pointed in the same direction and forward towards the front of the vehicle the COMPASS_ORIENT parameter should be left as "0", not "Roll-180".

• Follow up on the Pixhawk issue. A positive result.

I loaded up 3.2-rc6 today and then re-flew, or at least tried to fly. 

Couldn't arm it, so hooked up mission planner to check the status messages. Had warnings for Compass not calibrated. OK did the cal again. Still had warnings 'Compasses inconsistent'. 

Back to mission planner and a better look at the Compass config screen. I had 'Manual' checked for my compass type, like it defaulted to with an APM 2.6, with Roll_180 set like it was with the APM 2.6 for an external compass. WRONG thing to do...

Even though I have an external compass like before (same one in the same place) I selected Pixhawk as the compass type and it worked fine this time after a re-calibration again. 

So twice in two days the assumptions I made in Mission Planner bit me (OK maybe I'm just stupid). 

I made the mistake I think because I'd have thought I'd be looking for 'Pixhawk WITH external compass' and because it's not there I chose the closest option. Silly me I guess.

The next flight went perfectly, Loiter fine, RTL fine. Did three landings under RTL fine.

• Yes! At the first fly after swapped pixhawk, it fast drift to a direction when loiter. But toloi bowling

• just tried rc5 on pixhawk with ekf enbled.  flew fine for 3 mins, than unexpectedly shot up while in loiter, only when I lowered my throttle to 0 it stopped, than I switched into stab and landed copter in a tree with just one prop scratched.  I will be attaching the log file. not a log guru myself, but was able to understand that baro worked correctly, it shows the difference between dalt and baro alt, where dalt goes down and baro goes up. it was rather spontaneous jump.

the flight was at night so no sun. pixhawk in its case. 

2014-08-29 23-29-05.log

• This seems to have fix pulsation throttle for me

throttle.jpg

This reply was deleted.

Activity