Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I meen that APM have parameters for compass rotation but pixhawk do not. Can I rotate compass for pixhawk as I need to 180 or 270 deg ?

...and is it correct to rotate compass as it is good for frame mount ?

Please help me to understand...

• For Pixhawk I use compass settings "Pixhawk" in MissionPlanner. There is no options for compass rotation (3DR GPS+Compass module). So can I place it and rotate it as I need. Will Controller make rotation corrections by inself while compass calibration procedure ?

• You might be able to do it in the parameters.  You can change the COMPASS_ORIENTATION parameter and then bench test it to see if it's correct. The settings 4, 6, 8, 10 etc might work for you.

I mount my pixhawk underneath and upsidedown (roll 180).  I have my compass/gps right side up (normal).

My parameters are AHRS_ORIENTATION 8 and COMPASS_ORIENTATION 0.  

• So I need to set orientation settings by myself ?

...or maybe Pixhawk can check internal and external compasses data while calibration process and make the best orientation correction setup by itself automaticly ?

• Developer

Leonid,

No, you'll need to set the orientation yourself.  On the MP's Mandatory Hardware >> Compass screen you'll see there are 4 options. Pixhawk/PX4 is just one of them and that assumes you're using a Pixhawk with or without an external compass (it can detect if one is attached or not) BUT it assumes that if it's external it's in the standard orientation.  If it's not then you'll need to select the "Manual" option at the bottom and select an orientation.

• Randy, did you see the logs of my second crash, which was exactly same as on previous day ?

I attached there, the telemetry log, Flash log and firmware copy of mega2560 read via mission planner for your analysis.

Today also I tried to repeat it again but this time with the help of a person I hold a cloth bed sheet under the loitering quad, this time also, after touching follow-me from the Droidplanner 2, all the motors stopped as earlier and the quad fell on the holded bed sheet  and no damage to the quad.

Randy, see not only me but many people encountered same problem and reported so it's enough evidence for you to believe that there is certainly  a nasty bug in the code.

I think that the microcontroller ATMega2560 getting reboot while jumping to execute guided command when the quad is in air and loitering.

I also tried to simulate the condition while holding the quad in hand, arming it and putting in loiter then touching follow-me from droidplanner 2, in this state the motors did not stop, I repeated and did not observe motors stopping in air while holding the quad in hand.

• So what manual orientation should I set for standart 3dr gps+compass module when it is 270 Cw at the frame (for example) ?

• Today, I had two flights with AC3.2_RC12 with APM2.6. In first flight, I tested stabilize, Loiter and RTL, it did well.

In the second flight, I took off in Loiter and at 3mt altitude, using latest DroidPlanner 2, while, the quad was in loitering, set follow-me from the phone.

Within a second, of touching follow-me, all motors were stopped and the quad fell like a rock. Attaching the flash and telemetry logs.

In telemetry log, Quad arms at 92% of the telemetry log file.

Auto analysis report:

Log File C:/Users/Narpat/Desktop/Telemetry Logs, Videos, EEPROM & Flash uploads/Flight Logs/Flight & Telemetry logs of 25.10.2014/2014-10-25 16-18-37.log
    Size (kb) 85.82421875
    No of lines 1386
    Duration 0:00:19
    Vehicletype ArduCopter
    Firmware Version V3.2_RC12
    Firmware Hash
    Hardware Type
    Free Mem 0
    Skipped Lines 0

Test: Autotune = UNKNOWN - No ATUN log data
    Test: Balance/Twist = GOOD -
    Test: Brownout = FAIL - Truncated Log? Ends while armed at altitude 3.50m