Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Regarding Spline_waypoints, it is shown in the MP and can be set on each waypoints. Will spline waypoints work on AC3.1.4? Many thanks.

• Developer

Willy,

No.  Spline is new for AC3.2.

• Loaded 3.2 rc1 on my Steadydrone Q4ad V style frame with APM 2.6 and 3DR GPS.
    First thing i noticed  was that the my pids where off. It needed a bump up  on several pid settings. After some manual tuning it flies just fine in stabilize mode. It's getting rainy now so i will resume testing tomorrow. First alt-hold then loiter and then hybrid mode. I am curious about hybrid mode and how it compares to DJI GPS mode.
    Anyone tried hybrid already? What are your impressions?

• Micha,

What size of propellers are you using?i'm curious about your pids concerning to loiter,if you could share it would be helpful. Ours is a 5.5 AUW with no payload,2880 props,apm 2.6 and 3dr gps,6S battery.

Rate loiter P=1.25

Rate loiter I=0.7

Rate loiter D=0.05

Loiter PID P=0.9

It does little circles around the point,less than 1 m radius,and i think it can be improved

Thanks in advance,

• Congrats on the first release candidate. I don't think there is ever enough thanks that is given to all those that contribute to the code. For that I have nothing other to say right now then THANKS!

I will get 3.2 loaded up on my disco and do some testing. 

• So many things in 3.2 that I've been so eager for!! I'm so pumped to get in the air with 3.2.  Too bad I turned my quad into a smoking hole in the ground on Friday.  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BGHvz1Owe0).  My rebuild will be fresh with 3.2 I guess.

• Flew our 550 hexa this afternoon with this 3.2 beta firmware before I read this. Noticed that it flew better than before. Is it because of the onion feature? What does onion actually do? Does it make the multi fly smoother?
  • Developer

Emile (VRBrain team) has found a bug in AC3.2-rc1.  The loiter and auto update rates are running too fast on the APM2 and too slow on the Pixhawk.

I suspect it's not too dangerous as the APM2 will probably simply run at the fastest speed it can which may make telemetry very slow.  For the PX4/Pixhawk/VRBrain it will likely lead to a pulsing throttle during missions which is annoying but not dangerous.

..I won't push out a fix tonight because it's too late here.  We may push out a fix tomorrow although I'd prefer to wait until Fri so that we get into a rhythm of one release candidate per week.

• Developer

Another improvement, not reported by Randy in the main post is this one:

- added new mode for CH7/CH8 (auto mission reset and pause mission)
This reply was deleted.

Activity