Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Darrel,

#1. looks like you have the EKF on.  Could you try turning that off to see if it helps?  There's a known issue about jumpiness with the EKF.  We have a fix coming but it's not out yet.

#2, the "Bad Flash" is not something I've seen before and worries me a bit. Maybe it's related to this issue though which is just a reporting error.  The "No Terrain Data" is very common especially before the vehicle gets GPS lock.  We don't use the Terrain data in copter yet (except for display purposes) so maybe we can ask MichaelO to suppress that message for now.

#3 is definitely a bug in MP that's been fixed in the latest Beta so as soon as the next official MP release goes out that'll be resolved.  By the way, it's also possible to upload the log files to DroneShare and have it do the auto analysis.  I've never done it myself but apparently it works.

• I turned the EKF off and the loiter on my micro 250 quad is working quite well now. I've added a camera and larger battery so it's flying a bit 'soft' but I'm sure another go with the auto tune will take care of that. I tried that  yesterday but there was a bit too much wind so I'll try again today. Regardless, the micro is flying just fine with RC7 and I appreciate your help. I hope you have scheduled some time off after the release. Come on down to Australia and I'll shout you a beer. 

• Some devs are already there...

• Thanks for the info. Can't fly today due to high winds but I'll turn off the EKF and go for a test tomorrow. Cheers.

• Developer

ArduCopter 3.2-rc7 is now available through the Mission Planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The changes are in the ReleaseNotes but also listed below.            

Changes from 3.2-rc6
    1) Safety Items:
        a) Landing check made more strict (climb rate requirement reduced to 30cm/s, overall throttle < 25%, rotation < 20deg/sec)
        b) pre-arm check that accels are consistent (Pixhawk only, must be within 1m/sec/sec of each other)
        c) pre-arm check that gyros are consistent (Pixhawk only, must be within 20deg/sec of each other)
        d) report health of all accels and gyros (not just primary) to ground station

(a) is the most important and addresses the “false positives” on the landing check that led to Marco’s crash and Sandy’s near crash.
    (b), (c) and (d) should catch any IMU failures that happen before take-off like the ones Artem say.

Note this release does not include the EKF smoothing from Paul Riseborough that Marco and a few others have asked for.  Tridge has his head down ahead of the Outback Challenge competition in less than 2 weeks and I can't merge such a big change without him.

Thanks again to all the Beta testers that have put their vehicles at risk to test this release so far!

• I was on rc6 but was having issues with shaking when changing to poshold or loiter with the gimbal. It would shake a little when not giving any input but initial movement after giving stick input it would really shake and you could hear the motors pulsing. So I figured I would try rc7 last night and reset everything back to defaults and do a new auto tune.

I redid all of the calibrations and any of the settings I had changed before. The only thing I did differently this time was I set it as a "V" frame rather than "X". It is a TBS Discovery with the extended arm kit. Went out this morning and it flew decent in stabilize, flew decent in alt hold. So I gave it some altitude and flipped the switch for auto tune (Which has worked great at least 8 times prior). I noticed it was a lot touchier with where the throttle stick was or it would stop tuning. It was approx 3/4 of the way through the roll tuning and all of a sudden it dropped the left front corner and all but rolled over. I was able to flip it to stabilize and managed to somehow save it. 

I flew around in stabilize a little longer and landed. I am going to upload my log. The bad thing is I forgot to change the setting for what it should log so I don't know if all the info we need is going to be there.

Going to change it back to 3.1.5 for some testing to see if it goes through auto tune without any glitches.

I tried to attach the log but must have missed something. Will reply to this post to attach it.

• I also just uploaded the last flight log with 3.1.5 to droneshare and also have it attached here. I checked the parameters list on droneshare and now with 3.1.5 it only has one marking that is in red which is:

MOT_TCRV_MAXPCT = 93

The couple that were marked in red on the rc7 log parameters had to do with max angle. Not sure if any of this has anything to do with what I seen. Just trying to put as much info out there as possible. 

Here is a link to the droneshare flight with 3.1.5: http://www.droneshare.com/mission/17082

2014-09-06 09-10-56.log

• @George Randall

I had the same problem. Somehow they "set the max value" of MOT_TCRV_MAXPCT to 80. Mine was 93 as well and was flagged also.

Henri

• I loaded 3.1.5 on it for now. It is a little too windy now to try and do an autotune. I was messing around with the droneshare site and uploaded the log from this flight. I don't know how accurate their readings are or if these are items that I would need to worry about but they had a few things marked in red for the parameters listings. Here is a link to it on droneshare and if you click on the parameters button you will see which ones are marked in red.

Auto tune on Droneshare with rc7

• I did auto tune with 3.1.5 and all went well. Landed in alt hold with auto tune switch still on and disarmed. I then turned the auto tune switch off and re-armed. It took off in a hurry to about 2 feet and flipped over right on it's back. I had a hard time getting the motors to shut off even with the throttle stick all the way down and trying to disarm. I attached the log file in case anyone can take a look and let me know what might have happened. 

2014-09-06 15-07-32.log

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702765815?profile=original
This reply was deleted.

Activity

Neville Rodrigues liked Neville Rodrigues's profile
Jun 30
Santiago Perez liked Santiago Perez's profile
Jun 21
More…