Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Randy,
              I'm surprised, this time Auto Tune worked fine, i didn't notice any kind of oscillation with the PID's and STB's which were resulting from Auto Tune, Please look yourself in the attached log files xxx_AT. The only thing i have changed is the foam thikness from 2mm to 4mm.
              My conclusion concerning this case is that Auto tune have been open for wider range but to work properly a good copter setup is required, especially vibrations in AltHold could cause the AutoTune to fail.
              So my suggestion is to make the range adjustable wit 2 options :  normal and crisp
              normal beeing like AC3.1.5 and crisp like new AC3.2.
              This could help those of us which have a setup not being perfectly.

BUT unfortunately i was having a big crash because of the Flip Issue in ACRO mode, i was doing FPV in alt HOLD when i accidentally switched to Acro mode. While in forward flying the Copter flipped over and lose control. There seems really to be an issue with the Acro mode while in acro trainer mode 1 (leveling).  There was no way to get the Copter back leveling itself and finally crashed. You will find this log too attached "...._crash" this was a newly FPV long run in Alt Hold mode, until the crash this was a great flight. What you think about the vibrations, seems to be much better  ?

AT_Test_and_crash.zip

• Hi thought I would test a bit more using the Autotune settings and I think they are good.  Just a bit more responsive than before but better.  I am still getting a bit of YAW overshoot in POSHOLD but that is probably me.  It seems OK in AUTO.

Also, the last flight I had a BAD AHRS error for the initial part of the flight, until it got to waypoint 2.  I didn't realise as I was out of earshot from my GCS.  The flight was fine.  I have noticed that I am getting some larger errors in EKF and YAW readings but it has not affected the performance.  I didn't do any flips but did chuck it around a bit and everything seemed ok.

Below is the log with the worst MAG/AHRS etc. It also has larger than usual EKF values in EKF4.  Not a huge flight but there were a few dogs wanting to chase me around so I thought I should retire unscathed!!!

• Not convinced it is a problem as while it seems that the results are a bit more aggressive it has not exceeded the capabilities of my particular quad. Both of which exceed the capabilities of the pilot!! Ha.

I have not tried it on the Y6B yet.

I quite like the result as it seems to be a bit more responsive but I have backed off the Rate Roll/Pitch a little. I figure the Auto tune gets it close but you still have a bit if tuning to make it really tight. 

Does it still back off by 20% from its final result as a safety margin?

• Developer

Yes, I'm pretty sure it still backs the final result off by 20%

• I have to return aprox 20% back too, I supose that it was my problem so I'm waiting a calm day to repeat, In my bigger cuad It give me in stab pitch and roll very different values 9 and 4,5; I use 7 and fly well, I try yesterday with a windy day and impressive well.Thanks

• I agree

• Tried rc14 on the quad today (EKF enabled) - flew very nice. Tested Stab,PosHold, Althold & RTL, only thing worth mentioning is the landing took three bounces before it settled down. Any parameter I can modify to eliminate this? log attached

2014-11-04 17-54-38 183.rar

• Developer

Raph,

Thanks for testing. I'm not able to download that log file for some reason.

• Hi Randy,

Try  this link instead. Thank you again for all the work you put in!

• Hey everyone, Hey Randy. 

Have a PID or autotune problem on my new 500 X4 frame. The thing flies very nicely now that I have anti-vibration mounts on my Pixhawk clone. But I've had some stability issues that I think are related to tuning and I could use your help.

As soon as I start autotune and let off the sticks, the unit tries its first maneuver, overcorrects, and flips. I've attached logs (see first/earlier log). I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to which parameters I should adjust. I also have some video if someone thinks it will help.

The second log is from three missions I ran after the repair from the final autotune attempt. It flew fine. I imagine it wouldn't have recovered from a big gust of wind very well since the PIDs are off.

Thanks for your help. 

- Len

P.S. running 3.2 rc 14. The Arducopter platform is amazing. Everyone I show it to is instantly interested. We're going to attempt some missions at my buddy's wedding this weekend. I'll post on the results.

3701866333?profile=original

2014-11-04 10-41-41.bin

2014-11-04 11-29-28.bin

Reptile Params 2014_11_03.param

This reply was deleted.

Activity