Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I THINK:

LAND_REPOSITION, set to 1 to enable repositioning

• excellent .....that was it ....thank you!

• Your Welcome Richard

• I finally flashed rc5 and re-calibrated compass and accel. I mainly wanted to give hybrid a shot. Stabilize seems to fly a little better but I still need to do auto tune. I really like hybrid. The only thing I wish and maybe it is possible is the climb and descent rate when in hybrid is slow like it is in loiter. Is it possible to change the climb/descent rates to where they would like it is in stabilize? 

• I was able to find in the wiki a little info for this parameter: PILOT_VELZ_MAX

Am I the only one that feels it would be best to have the copter climb and descend as fast in hybrid mode as it does in stabilize? With being able to fly as aggressively in hybrid mode as you can in stabilize climbing or descending at a slow rate can get you in trouble pretty quick with other objects, mainly the ground when flying low on terrain that is uneven.

• Hi George,

actually you are not alone, I had the same feeling at first sight.

I've increased that VELZ param and tuned the throttle controller to be more responsive. I tryed to make a kind of hybrid throttle to have it assisted and controlled by being more reponsive... but nothing very good for the moment.

Jason's Throttle Assist would be a right deal but currently only the standart throttle controler is available with poshold (hybrid). And the problem is exactelly the same with Alt_Hold.

I don't know what planned to do the developpers but we could hope an option to choose between throttle_assist or std_throttle_controller for throttle_controlled flight modes in the future releases.

• Hi Julien,

Thanks for the response. Were you able to at least see a difference with tuning the VELZ param? I could deal with the throttle as long as it would be a little faster. Maybe logic goes against this but an example would be the flying I did yesterday was over uneven terrain with a difference of about 5' between highest and lowest points. I was flying within two feet of the ground to get practice following terrain. Stabilize wasn't an issue but with hybrid I almost crashed because it was too slow climbing. There are many other cases where this would fit in.

Some could say that hybrid isn't meant to be flown within close proximity but I would love to be able to fly in hybrid and know I am clear of obstacles and release the sticks if I wanted to rather than fly in stabilize and have to flip a switch to loiter mode. I know hybrid mode right now would really shine when doing aerial photography out in the open and plenty of ground clearance. 

• Developer

Now is not possible because the "Position" mode was removed from the code, but i think a good idea would be introduce it again because PosHold with the manual throttle could be very useful.
            I think it was removed to free up space in the APM board, but don't understand why this choice should penalize those who use the new 32-bit board.
            Jason's Throttle Assist is the other alternative.
            My two cents...

Marco

• Developer

I'm not personally too keen on bringing back Position Mode.  I think Marco/Julien's suggestion to instead introduce Jason's throttle assist into these modes perhaps using the selection method from steveF11music will be ideal.  It won't make it into AC3.2 but maybe AC3.3.

Issue for AC3.3 raised here.

• That's funny, I would say the only thing missing from Drift mode is altitude control, so I'm looking very forward to PosHold as is. :)

I'm on APM, so I appreciate the concern for supporting the older hardware, for a while at least. At the same time, I don't want anyone to be "penalized"; has there been any thought put into building for different platforms where various features could be included or excluded with #define directives in the code, or a similar approach? It may be more work, but might help people on Pixhawk from feeling like people on APM are holding them back.

This reply was deleted.

Activity