Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Andre,

those compass id's are a-ok.  the inconsistent message means that the internal and external compass disagree by more than 45 degrees.  I'd guess we have one of a few possible problems:

1. the compass-orient parameter is set incorrectly

2. the internal compass has some metal near it or it's offsets are bad or something else is wrong with it to make it give a bad heading

3. the inconsistent values are very short lived (like the moment when you plug in a battery) and this is triggering a false alarm.

I think a dataflash log would be good.

• Hi Randy,

Ok good to know that the "PreArm: compasses inconsistent" is caused by a misscompare of more than 45°!

to 1. the compass-orient parameter is set incorrectly:

The Mag is the original 3dr GPS with Mag and the Arrow shows to the front.

As in the wiki the orientation is 0. but for my understanding it should be Roll180. Nevertheless I also tried ROll180 and a new compass calibration.

to 2. the internal compass has some metal near it or it's offsets are bad or something else is wrong with it to make it give a bad heading:

This I´ll tryout with the Mag solo only from the Pixhawk.

3. the inconsistent values are very short lived (like the moment when you plug in a battery) and this is triggering a false alarm.

Yes it comes up very shortly and disapears several times.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached the Log. But I´m not sure if you can see the compass fail I guess I disabled the Check. 

On this flight I had a FS_Batt-1 Issue and a crash. The FS_Batt was correct Identified, but then? it crashed!??. By the way the manual RTL is working perfect. 

In -rc9 I had every flight a fail or crash so I went back to 3.1.5. In 3.1.5 it works perfect special the Landing is much better than in -rc9.

3702920483?profile=original

FS_BATT-1.rar

• Randy, I have flashed 3.1.5 and then again 3.2-rc6 and re-do compass calibration 3 times.
              Same Problem COMPASS_DEV_ID now is 73225 and COMPASS_DEV_ID2 now is 131594
              and the Warning PreArm: compasses inconsistent. Thosten is your ID2 now -1 ?

• T3

Randy, after a new compass calibration I had no problems (tested Stabilize, PosHold, RTL, Autotune). 

• T3

Same numbers here. 

• Developer

Yes is possible, there's same problems also with VR Brain board and RC5.

• Upgraded from 3.2rc2 to 3.2rc5. Done calibrations after Pixhawk reboot. Below my compass info:

3702764707?profile=original

compass_id.PNG

• Hi Randy thanks for the detailed reply

A re-boot didn't do the trick for the compass warning.

COMPASS_DEV_ID is 2097225216

COMPASS_DEV_ID2 is -1

I agree the added checks are for the better. I don't really like setting arm check to 0. Does the fact that it is reading the compass numbers mean they are in fact connected? It's a tight squeeze getting the pixhawk back into my water-tight frame there is always the possibility a wire / connection is loose. But I really don't think so. Especially because it flew perfectly. I could go back to 3.1 if needed to confirm it's not hardware / wiring issue.

• Developer

Richard, that 1st compass id is a real problem.  You're of course loading the code from the mission planner's beta firmware's link and you're running -rc5 right?  Could you download and attach a dataflash log?  It doesn't need to be from a real flight, just arm the copter, spin up the motors for a second and shut it down and grab the log and post it here.

This reply was deleted.

Activity