ArduIMU V2 and Arduino Duemilanove.

Hi.

I apologize in advance if there are other posts relating to my query for I am very new to this and may not have understood all that I have read.

I have recently got a joystick connected to my pc to control servos connected to my Arduino. This got my brain ticking!

I want to build a model plane that can be controlled from my pc joystick. I would like to have virtual instruments on my screen similar to those in a real aircraft. Ie. Artificial Horizon, Airspeed, Altimeter, Compass and Rpm gauges.

Firstly: Is it feasible to have the following...

Basically all data will be sent from the ArduIMU and Airspeed Sensor through the Xbee back to the PC where it will be displayed appropriately. Meanwhile the Joystick will be controlling the servos.
Later I would like to program the aircraft based Arduino to act as a autopilot once control signal is lost.

My main question is: Can the arduIMU V2 flat  (with a GPS) be easily connected to an Arduino, and will I be able to read the following off it: Ground Speed, Altitude, Pitch, Roll (both in relation to the horizon) and Current Course??

I look forward to your responses.
Many Thanks!
Chris

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• @Chris Twine: Good day, What would be the connections for the ArduIMU+ V2 to the Arduino? and Is it possible for the Arduino Mega and ArduIMU+ V3? and Lastly, Is the ArduPilot firmware compatible with the Arduino Mega? because like you I'm using Arduino Mega, istead of ArduPilot.

Thanks =)

• Hi, Chris !
    I tested Arduino 2009 (can not type this Italian word :-) ) with arduIMU V2 flat with a GPS using standard ArduPilot (non-Mega) code. I soldered a couple of connectors and I got the same functionality as native ArduPilot, except hardware multiplexing, of course. Some code configuration needed, but it is difficult. But after first good results I got a parcel with native ArduPilot, so further experiments were discontinued.
    I think you can get a piece of code that interfaces with arduIMU and use it in your project...
    Good luck !
  • Arducopter team is also planning to develop this functionality (plus many others)
    see their software roadmap:

http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/

Kyle, this might help you:
    http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/Failsafe
    http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/FlightModes
  • very nice.

my brother and i are working on a similar project.
    im using a 6dof board from sparkfun and a gps unit that i cracked open to get the connection that has the NMEA data

arduino mega for the main board. its gettin there!
    hows your project goin?
  • Hey Chris,

I also want to have a similar setup. I have thought about doing exactly what you describe, but I want a quick and simple solution with out a whole lot of programing to figure out. You might want to check out this site for connecting a joystick to a radio. This is if you already have a radio transmitter for RC planes.

As for the on-screen display, are you looking to have a first person view video transmission or just have the gauges with the information that you want to see? If you are going to have a video transmission there are a bunch of companies that sell OSDs (on-screen display) which will give you the information that you want; the DIY drones store sells one called Remzibi's OSD which is some what basic. Unless there is some way to have a splitter for the GPS unit it will have to have its own, separate from the one that you need for the ArduPilot. I have found another OSD system call EzOSD which has some nice features that would come in handy if you go the FPV route.

If you just want to see the gauges like in a cockpit as you said, then my guess would be that you have to use the telemetry data sent via the Xbee in a program that would figure all of the items you want to see in a nice display (you probably would have to write the program yourself unless there is one out there).

I also would like to have some way of coding the ArduPilot to have a return to home feature when radio signal is lower than a set value or lost completely. Maybe someone can give some insight on how to accomplish this.

I hope some of this information helps.

Kyle
  • Hey.

i think it would work, but have a look at this site.

They mounted a xbee pro to a plane and monitored (is that correct in english?) it over the flight.
    Google Übersetzer
  • Hi Doug.

Thanks for your reply.

Ok great!

The reason that I initially didn't consider the ArduPilot was becasue i wasn't sure how configurable it is..
    1) If I used an ArduPilot or the ArduPilot Mega? will I still be able to code it, so that I can fly the plane through the Xbees?

2) The Oilpan looks amazing! Is there considerable improvement with the "situational awareness" (ie. more stable pitch and roll readings?) over the arduIMU V2?

3) If I opted to stay using a Duemilanove would it also be compatible with the Oilpan? Or would I have to use an Arduino Mega?

4) If I control the servos through the Xbees, Might I encounter hectic delayed response?

Thanks very much again!
    - I know responding to silly questions is a pain!
    Chris
  • Developer
    Yes and Yes.

But why would you use a Duemilanove when the ArduPilot board has the same processor and is set up for an AP?

And if you don't already have an ArduIMU, then you should look at the ArduPilot Mega / oilpan combination.
This reply was deleted.

Activity