OK I have a not fancy at all plane. It is a SuperCub Parkflyer no ailerons Just Rudder Elevator and Throttle. I noticed the default settings contain no YAW settings. I am assuming this is where my problem is but I am not sure.
The Stabilize mode seems to work well while bench testing so I suspect everything is loaded and hooked up correctly.
Rudder is on channel 1
Evelator on Channel 2
Throttle is on channel 3
Switches are set to no ailerons, and elevator and rudder are set to reverse.
In stabilize mode tilting the fuselage to either size gives a counter acting direction on the rudder. When tipping the nose down I get the elevators trying to pull up so I think that is all working.
I can switch modes via a pot on the transmitter.
The problem occurs when I go to auto mode. I put the aircraft in the car and drove it to the waypoints. There was no rudder deflection at all. I assume this is the YAW settings I mentioned earlier. Is there a setting document that will help me understand what I am doing wrong?
Oh by the way I have the 2560 ARDUPILOT MEGA and the FOX oilpan.
yeah, I have not had any luck with rudder deflection in Auto Mode. Can anyone supply some suggestions?
I have actually stepped through the waypoints via the GCS trying to get some rudder deflection but it is just a no go. Is there a setting that I can change to get maximum deflection to verify output from auto mode on channel 1?
Hi, I too use ArduPilot with my Supercub. The supercub is a great airframe for beginners - so stable and far easier to fly than almost anything else I have tried. I don't know why you don't see it recommended here more. It also has plenty of room inside for Ardupilot once you cut out the ACT sensors and replaced the crappy Parkzone reciever with a proper spektrum one. The only issue I had with it was that it is pretty slow, so sometimes struggled to hit waypoints if there was some wind. I've since upgraded to a HK FPV168 which is a totally different beast.
I didn't really need to do much to make Ardupilot work with the SuperCub. Like you, I attached the rudder servo to the aileron channel (channel 1). I don't remember setting the switches to no aileron mode (I assume you are talking about the Flaperon setting - dip switch 4?), but if it works in stabilize mode then auto should be ok.
When in auto mode, make sure home is set correctly and the other waypoints have their altitudes set relative to home. I was having issues using absolute altitudes whereby they were sub-surface compared to home! It is definately worth hooking up telemetry if you have an XBee so you can find out what the plane is really trying to do and which waypoint it is heading for. It may be that it thinks it is finished navigating (ie. the mission needs to be reset), which is trivial to do through a GCS.
The Ardurpilot code is getting better and better, but even with 2.2.1 I still get some mysterious behavour such as unexplained resets and PIDs that aren't always saved correctly. But when it works, it is a joy to watch the plane flying itself.
Hope that helps