ArduPilot vs PX4 programming

Hello! I'm an IT student and I've been programming for years. However I am a total newbie when it comes to drones.

I'm interested in developing simple onboard applications.

What it is easier/higher level/better documented/updated software?

I mean, should I write programs directly for PX4, thus for NuttX? (i.e. http://pixhawk.org/dev/start )

Or should I edit ArduPilot code? (i.e. http://dev.ardupilot.com )

Furthermore, does ArduPilot (or its abstraction layer) relies on PX4 code in some way (e.g. middleware, NuttX)?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Socrates,

1. In my Oppinion: The PX4 stack by far.

2. I cannot comment on that... Also, well this really depends on how you integrate Python code. Do you want to send it via telemetry? Are you looking into a companion Computer?

Best Phil

Socrates Ponnusamy said:

Philip

We are working on a project to program the drone to fly around and scan the barcodes from the boxes stacked in racks. I have couple of questions.

1. Which is easy to program? PX4 or pixhawk and in what language?

2.  I have a X8 and is it to big to fly it indoor? can I control X8 to do fine movements using python?

Thanks for your help.

Socrates

• Hello Marco,

no, I dont know any other resources...

Phil
    Marco Colli said:

Thanks! I'm not planning any big project, only experiments in my free time (e.g. simple DIY programmed autonomous flights).

Do you know any useful resource for getting started with PX4/NuttX (besides the official website)?

• Hi Philippe,

I am working on my thesis project. The goal is to develop a follow algorithm for the Pixhawk to follow a car. I am new to PX4 programming. After a little research I found that 'follow_target' has been implemented in /modules/navigator/ . I am not sure on how to go ahead.... Should I modify follow_target file or I need to make my changes in the px4_simple_app.

Any help regarding this is highly appreciated.

Philippe Petit said:

Hi,

I am unsure what you want to develop, however I wrote some code for the PX4 over NuttX and found it very convenient. The advantage is that you do not have to interfere in the code which is already set up, but rather you create you own app which runs in parallel. Therefore integrating your software is pretty easy. The documentation is only medium, however the IRC group and the exisitng code plus the website which you listed in your poste makes it Okayish to start. If you already developped code before it should be no problem.

What do you want to do? Or what are you planning to do?

phil

• Hi,

I am unsure what you want to develop, however I wrote some code for the PX4 over NuttX and found it very convenient. The advantage is that you do not have to interfere in the code which is already set up, but rather you create you own app which runs in parallel. Therefore integrating your software is pretty easy. The documentation is only medium, however the IRC group and the exisitng code plus the website which you listed in your poste makes it Okayish to start. If you already developped code before it should be no problem.

What do you want to do? Or what are you planning to do?

phil

• Philip

We are working on a project to program the drone to fly around and scan the barcodes from the boxes stacked in racks. I have couple of questions.

1. Which is easy to program? PX4 or pixhawk and in what language?

2.  I have a X8 and is it to big to fly it indoor? can I control X8 to do fine movements using python?

Thanks for your help.

Socrates

• Thanks! I'm not planning any big project, only experiments in my free time (e.g. simple DIY programmed autonomous flights).

Do you know any useful resource for getting started with PX4/NuttX (besides the official website)?

This reply was deleted.

Activity