Auto inflation device - do they exist?...

Hi guys,I'd like to drop a camera capsule into the ocean to sink and take snaps as it goes. At a pre set depth I'd like some sort of device to inflate bringing it back to the surface.Does anyone know if anything like this exists?ThanksMatt

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think it's conclusive... Do not use an auto inflating device. Instead use a weight cut-away system.
    Thanks guys
  • Another problem you might run into using the CO2 cartridge is the high pressure (caused by depth) of the water on your system. Depending on how deep you plan on going, you might have to adapt your system to account for the higher pressure.

• I recently looked into these after someone mentioned them in the comments of this post. All I could find were the CO2 cartridge for flotation devices. There seem to be manual ones where you pull a cord to activate them, and automatic one with a chemical-filled bobbin that dissolves, allowing the CO2 to inflate the bladder.

• I've seen those things before. If I could hack the trigger to them and interfacebitvwith a microprocessor which is constantly measuring depth then that might work, but as you say I think the better option is to drop a weight and rely in the buiyancy of the capsule for it to naturally resurface.

This is a new area to me. Does anyone know the effects of depth in terms of location? What I mean is... If my capsule descends at point "A" and goes down X metres before dropping its weight. When it resurfaces at point "B" where could it potentially be?... 1 mile away, 2, 3, 4, 100?!!...
  • Craig's idea is the best option in my opinion.

There are these things, but the timing is not modifiable to my knowledge.

http://www.water-buoy.com/

Waterbuoy - Coming Soon
  • Hi Craig,
    That's a fantastic idea - I hadn't even considered that. I guess it's foolproof. The buoyancy of the camera capsule will always be such that it will float, so as long as the release mechanism doesn't fail then it should work.
    Are there any examples of this type of project I might find online?...
    Thanks
    Matt
  • Developer

There are devices like that that use a CO2 cartridge to inflate a lift bag but for better reliability, you're better off using some extra buoyancy and descent weight that you drop using a timer or pressure switch when you reach your desired depth.

This reply was deleted.

Activity