Replies

• Please excuse my ignorance, perhaps I am not seeing the problems you are but wouldn't a simpler / safer solution, what that doesn't include cutting traces and messing with the APM include just powering the APM separately?  I use a 68 gram 1200mah 2s battery, and an LM7805 liner regulator / or 5v ubec.  Now I can fly all day, swap batteries, and not lose the almanac from resetting the GPS.  On a similar note, if my ESC(s) or attached servos are introducing noise into my setup, then I would benefit from powering the APM and the copter separately.  I just wanted to throw that possibility out there and get some feed back.  What do you think?

Rick

• I have installed a plug to separate the battery from APM. But when disconnecting the plug, the saved almanac information is lost. So on the fly field i must first connect USB to get a lock, than plug the backup battery in and than connect the lipo. It is a workaround for now, but not the solution.

• I put ferrit coils to the Lipo + line, the UBEC (powering the in rail) and the one ESC ( powering the out rail). No change, no GPS-Lock.

• Steven, would you please measure if you have also voltage on the +/- pins of the input rail while backup battery is connected?

Thank you.

• The backup battery is feeding 1,4V back into the APM. Maybe a bad solder joint?

• The 4-6 sats were outside, blue sky, without backup battery connected, only the APM off the copter, powered by USB. This is really not very good.

This evening I will check if the backup battery is feeding power back into the APM. Maybe the ground pin 3 or 8 must be used for ground. But Steven also used the daughter boards ground pin.

I found something intersting in the data sheet of the MEDIATEK-3329:
    The vbackup (Pin4) must be connected for normal operation.

Here is a screenshot
    3692464951?profile=original

• Unfortunately, it is not working anymore. The battery is empty now. It was a brand new one with 3,3V, and now it has only 1,4V. I tested the diode, it is working and connected in the right direction. Any idea?

I also tested GPS accuracy with APM off the copter, connected to PC via USB. Position in MP is walking around in a circle of about 10m while APM is laying on the table with 4-6 sats connected. Is this normal behavior?

• I have installed the backup battery with a diode on +.

And IT IS WORKING.

Thank you Jake and Steven.

3692462049?profile=original3692462660?profile=original3692462752?profile=originalWhen fist time powering the APM, after some hours without power, than I got GPS-Lock in some minutes. But every time. Before, I got no Lock most times even after 10 minutes.

When disconnecting Lipo for seconds or minutes and than repowering, GPS-Lock is there in 10-20 sec.

But I´m still not so satisfied with it, because I only have 4-6 sats and the accuracy is very poor, about 10-20m. Maybe this is because of the interferences, which prevent the GPS to get lock without the battery. I think I have fought only the symptoms and not the cause.

But I have no idea which part or configuration is emitting the interferences. I have nothing special installed: UBEC (5,22V) on the IN-rail, 6x Hobbywing Skywalker 20A (each min. 2" away from the APM) and one of them connected with +/- on the OUT-rail, all others S and -. No telemetry, and for testing no RX.

Maybe it helps when installing the Diydrones BECs, or/and the original power distrtibution board? Any suggestions?

• Thank you very much Steven. This looks quite easy and may help a lot of people, having trouble with GPS lock.

I will try it with a non rechargeable battery, without switch but a diode on the vbat line. Will report as soon as it is working.

• Thank you Jake, this may work. But what do you think of the idea to put a switch between the coin cell and the GPS and switch off the connection immediatelly after powering the APM? I think Steven Harsanyi did it this way, posted in this thread.

This reply was deleted.

Activity

Neville Rodrigues liked Neville Rodrigues's profile
Jun 30
Santiago Perez liked Santiago Perez's profile
Jun 21
More…