Building my first quad.

As the title says, I'm building my first quad or anything that flies for that matter. I've been needing a new hobby for a while and I find quadcopters incredibly fascinating. My budget for this is limited, but I want to have the capability to upgrade it over time. I'm looking at using aluminum tubing or carbon fiber for the booms and lexan to hold the electronics. I have not yet looked into how much carbon fiber is, but I hear it's not cheap.

Here is my parts list so far:

ArduPilot Mega IMU Shield/OilPan V1.4 $149.95

ArduPilot Mega $59.95

4x TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller $61.60

4x Turnigy 2217 20turn 860kv 22A Outrunner $56.16

ZIPPY Flightmax 4000mAh 3S1P 20C $19.99

2x APC 12x3.8 Slow Flyer Propellers $9.00
2x APC 12x3.8 Slow Flyer Pusher Propellers $13.00

Please let me know if you see anything wrong with this or have suggestions. Remember, I'm a noob.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Adam, i sow you had no luck with this thread :-(
    Since I'm moving (like you) my first steps in this quad-world and I'm trying to get more info before I start, I wonder which choice you did for the radio transmitter.

Many refer to the Spektrum dx7 as a good choice, but I wonder if there is any less expensive choice (Just to be able to progressively invest money in other stuff like telemetry or video).
    Is The DX6 good as well?

• I just drew this up very quickly using Draw to get a feel for how everything will be spaced. Does having longer booms change the flight characteristics, if so in what way?

I don't know why exporting to png is causing it to be distorted.
  • Can anyone suggest a good source for carbon fiber parts that are not outrageously priced?

I'm having a hard time finding the dimensions for the ArduPilot Mega IMU Shield/OilPan V1.4, can someone please point me in the right direction?
This reply was deleted.

Activity