Building vs Purschasing drone?

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and would like to get a general sense of what direction I should take on building a drone vs out of the box ones?

I am interested in launching a company that would consist of :
Photography/Video (real estate)
Inspections - would I need special license for this?
3D mapping - what type of software? free?

But I don't want to spend 6k on a drone unless I really have too. Any help with this?

Thanks In advance!

PS I am new to the drone industry....

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, i just want to give my personal opinion, before building or purchasing your first drone, could possibly couple of things you should be thinking about. The most important question you need to think about is "the reason why am I getting into drones from the start?" For fun or business?

I see that you want to build your own company and make profits by selling some services related to drone.

First the thing, think about the time.

Time and effort needs to be committed prior to the self-built drone may take off. Its certainly not something you can complete in a day and it is an experiment of the hours you devote and your determination as well. In some cases,to create a durable drone, you'll need high-quality parts and these are usually more costly.Apart from, when there is any problem you need to find and debug it, you cannot contact customer service.

It really is far more financially efficient to purchase a drone compared to build it.If you discover any problem in your drone, you'll be able to make a complaint quickly to the company and request assistance.

You can check drones comparison first before making any final choice to purchase the most reliable ones to your business. The DJI is one of the most famous company that you can trust because i have seen a lot of business owner utilize the DJI drone.

BUT, i see that you are still young, because of you mentioned you are still busy with school, then it is best to try for both, i mean building a drone as a side project, and also buy a drone for a small scale business. You will learn a lot and gain more knowledge to enhance your business in the future.

Compare Drones - Specs, Reviews and Guides
    Find and compare the best Quadcopters and Drones by top brands: technical specifications, expert ratings, user reviews, features, videos and more.
  • Out of box DJI Phantom 3 advance/professional always comes with camera ready for 3D mapping solution.  So you don't have to worry much.  Which is why theres lots of drone company out there growing out nowhere with less required tech knowledge.

•  Thank you for sharing that bit of information! Sorry it took so long to respond, between school and work Ive been pretty busy. I wasn't sure about the 3D option...didnt know if I need a special or specific camera for that.

David L. said:

If you don't have enough money to spend time, expertise and labour to build it then better buy a drone and concentrate making profit than lost of time.

My friend immediately started his own company with zero knowledge building drone nor any skill flying it.  He just concentrate doing paper work and starting his aerial photography, inspection and 3D mapping using his $650 Dji Phantom 3 advance + Pix4D software. 

Straight to the point and cheap.  Yeah his company growing now.

• If you don't have enough money to spend time, expertise and labour to build it then better buy a drone and concentrate making profit than lost of time.

My friend immediately started his own company with zero knowledge building drone nor any skill flying it.  He just concentrate doing paper work and starting his aerial photography, inspection and 3D mapping using his $650 Dji Phantom 3 advance + Pix4D software. 

Straight to the point and cheap.  Yeah his company growing now.

This reply was deleted.

Activity