The Wii nunchuck has 3 axis accelerometers. It talks thru an I2 interface, and the whole unit can be had for $18. The Wii MotionPlus has a two axis rate sensor (tuning fork) and is reported to be very accurate by gamers for another $18. Get two for 3+ axes.Seems to me that this mass produced system is a lot cheaper than a 6 axis OEM setup.Add a two axis compass from honeywell for a fast heading sensor, and you can do dead-reckoning without a GPS.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3 axis gyro ( in early release ) shortly, $3 in volume, digital out

http://www.invensense.com/products/itg_3200.html 3 axis pre-production
  • T3
    Hi, motionplus is in fact 3-axis gyroscope (it has two-axis IDG600 + single-axis XV-3500 gyro chips inside). Here has been a lot of discussion about it some time ago.
    However, getting just gyro chips from Sparkfun with comparable quality costs also $18, and you can interface them directly to your CPU analog port without messing with i2c. Triple axis accelerometer chip costs $12.
  • There's also an IR sensor in the Wii-mote. It is usefull for tracking devices on ground (IR target). The sensor returns coordonates (x and y). There's some people over the web that had maneged to buit some tracking devices with it. (see youtube...)
This reply was deleted.

Activity