Hello folks. I read posts on this forum all the time, but this my first.

I am trying my hardest to make a decision on an airframe to base my UAV operations. I need to build 2 today and 2 more in the near future. I really need community assistance. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

It will be used to carry a variety of sensor arrays in an interchangable ayload bay that we are designing. All flights will be autonomous and autopilot will likely be Pixhawk, and eventually Micropilot.

Here are the requirements:

• Payload: (sensor arrays and cameras) around 1KG for now.
  • Flight time: 60 minutes minimum. Range is really what matters so that we can scan more ground in a single flight.
  • Range: 50 KM. This is total distance travelled. Distance from ground station will be 5 KM or less.
  • Stability: Stability is important, but we will have at least a single axis gimbal in the detachable payload bay.
  • Cost: Not really an issue, but it would be good to keep the airframe under $1,000 in this revision.
  • Take off: It depends. We will need something for short take off. If it is too heavy for a hand launch, we will be investing in a catapult.
  • Landing: Airstrip if available, otherwise we have a 20'x20' net on flexible telescoping fiberglass poles. Future revisions will have parachute recovery as well.

We will be building heavier payloads and may be buying a commercial airframe like Penguin B in a year or so. Right now we are just starting off and testing the market with the best possible hobbyist platform. 

I have been considering the following airframes. I've evaluated many, but have shortlisted these:

• Skyhunter
  • Skywalker
  • Techpod
  • Green Air Designs Viper V2.0
  • Air Titan
  • Sky Soldier (If I can get it from anyone other than RC4Y, who I understand is risky to deal with)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is exactly the kind of reply I was looking for! THank you.

Andre, can you tell me how much space there is in the fuse for payload? It looks like it is pretty tight and would need to be hollowed out. Also, what improvements do you feel need to be made?

• you can safely hollow out 10cm wide area , 9 cm high area, in the front part without reinforcing with extra CF profiles..

Profiles added, you can have 11cm wide load and just as good strength.

The other improvements, as mentioned.; add proper hinges to ailerons, rudder and elevator,  - and two elevator servos.

Vertical stabilizers on VAMP need extra support,  to withstand landings in hard snow/grass, and is no problem to improve on.

Basically; if you have some experience, it's a platform that gives you many options.

• This is great, thanks so much.

• Check out Bormatec Maya and VAMP  - I have them - works well, with some improvements you can add; like real hinges on ailerons and redundant servos - they are ptetty decent :)

This reply was deleted.

Activity