Circuitry ( 328p) fried due to magnet?

Hello,

Do you think that having a coin sized magnet, which is not moving,  will/can burn out cicuitery?

I was trying to do a vibrations measurement  using an accelerometer sensor which has a small magnet incorporated in order to achieve a better fix on ferrous materials.  I do know that it has MAJOR  effect on the magnetometer but that was not of essence.

The rig:3690938315?profile=original

The magnet:3690938258?profile=original

I made 3-4 small flights of a few seconds (~10) to get a feel of the copter then unplugged the lipo and went to make my measurement set-up at my laptop. When i connected the lipo a 'usual' spark was seen at the leads and the motors stared singing and I could not arm. I tried a reset/reflash firmware but it did not help.

I  saw via the mission planer that no radio signal were detected.

The APM board  power led did not light up and by pure luck found a small ripple in the circuitery and mended it whit a bit of tin.3690938344?profile=original

After seeing that the radio inputs are all 0 I tried to connect to the 328p but I it cannot read it using avr studio. I think it's safe to assume it's fried as RC signal can be read with voltmeter at it's output.

I later found out that the Xbee module is also fried.

Can 328p be replaced or do I need to buy a new APM?

Can all of this happen because of the magnet? All my sensors are working fine (accel,gyro,magneto) and those should have failed first as they were closer and all imo. Also, as metioned, i did a few flights without any problems.

Can it be the spark that i saw when connecting the lipos?

I have also put some Leds on the wings and controled them using the relay and it was the first time i was fling with them on but I took care not to have any deisoleted wiring. I don't think that could have caused it, but it's worth mentioning.

It would be nice to know what happened  so it will not be done again.

Any suggestions on finding the problem are welcome.

Thanks, Levi

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You've got a completely dry joint on the 328P debug/programming port.

Top-left of the photo, top left pin (VCC). It doesn't make contact with the PCB at all.

That might be why you can't connect to the 328P.

Looking at the rest of the pin headers in shot, quite a few of them look like they might also be partly dry (it's hard to tell from a photo).

• Because of the magnet?  No.

Because of shorts caused by sticking a big metal probe to a bare PC, yes.

[Post edited by moderators for civility]

This reply was deleted.

Activity