Combining aerial photos with flight data

Hi all,
we are thinking about building our own aerial photography module. Probably something like GoPro + "sensor box" with LIDAR, GPS and probably 3-axis accelerometer to measure inclination. All flight data logged using some MCU. The whole system needs to be independent - thus own sensors.

My question is about the camera. We need full resolution photos taking in about 3- second interval (the camera will always look straight down). I know that GoPro is able to do this but there is a question about processing.

I plan to combine the aerial photo with flight log (using our own SW). Is there any possibility to process the data "online" - transfer the photos from GoPro during flight and process them or is it better to stick with our current testing workflow which process the files after flight?

I do not need live image display. The aim is to produce images with so called world files to load in GIS software and displayed on a map.

thanks

PS: one question to GoPro owners - does the photo filename contain real date/time? It would help us to process them.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Your better off doing it after the flight. If not you would have to be downloading high resolution images every 3 seconds. I dont understand why you would want to do it during the flight?

• OK,

the only reason for considering online processing was that the whole "platform" is planned to be also usable on helicopter. And in such case you might want to see the images...

We will stick with after flight processing.

This reply was deleted.

Activity