Compass Calibration always above 150

Hi guys,

hoping you could help me out here. I just updated to 3.1RC7 from 3.01. I'm having a problem calibrating my compass. I can't get it under the new 150 limit. Previously on 3.01 it always lingered just above or below 200 so was able to get away with it, When looking at what offset is causing high calibration number it's always the X offset. See attached config after calbiration (i've also done compossmot and got a value of 27)

I've tried orientating the copter in many directions. Even tried the technique outlined in the two linked videos. One from randy himself. I've also tried removing the gps just in case it was interfering. My apm is also a good two to three inches above and away from the nearest ESC.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_mjfPlHL9o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmsueBS0J3E

COMPASS_MOT_X-80.413
COMPASS_MOT_Y-42.383
COMPASS_MOT_Z14.372
COMPASS_MOTCT1
COMPASS_OFS_X-203.489
COMPASS_OFS_Y69.013
COMPASS_OFS_Z

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

the 150 limit is really more of a guideline so it's quite possible that it will fly fine.  I wouldn't expect the version of the software to affect the offsets because we haven't modified that part of the code and in fact the calibration is all done in the mission planner.

it's a bit of a bad sign that it's so high.  it probably means the compass chip itself is quite far from the norm or perhaps the board has a bit of a big solder blob attaching the compass to the board.

• Same problem. I can't figure it out. Think we may have a magnetized and therefore faulty compass. 

• Just to add to the above. I've also just tried removing the board completely from the quadcopter and calibrating it on it's own without any connections other than the usb lead from my laptop. Same issue. So it's either the board or something that i'm doing?

This reply was deleted.

Activity