What does everyone think of this announcement?

http://www.auvsi.org/news/#HouseFAAPass

Is this news or just AUVSI tooting its own horn? Doesn't look like the bill is really all that close to the president's signature. Would this even be a good thing? Seems like it to me, but I don't really know.

===

After five years, and 23 extensions, Congress is finally poised to put an FAA bill on the President’s desk for his signature.  For the first-time ever, Congress tasked the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) with coming up with a plan to safely expedite the integration of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) into the national airspace system. AUVSI, the world’s largest non-profit trade association representing the unmanned systems industry, played an instrumental role in drafting and advocating for the UAS language in the bill.

“Although unmanned aircraft have been around for decades, the rapid technological advancements made by the military in the past decade has matured the technology to the point where we now know we can safely fly UAS to accomplish those tasks that are too dangerous, difficult, dull, or expensive, for manned aircraft,” said AUVSI’s President & CEO Michael Toscano. “UAS are a revolutionary-type technology that will completely alter the way we think about aviation in the future, and this legislation marks the beginning for how the FAA will regulate this fast-evolving industry.”

Some of the major UAS provisions in the FAA bill include:

• Setting a 30 Sept. 2015 deadline for full integration of UAS into the national airspace;
  • Requiring a comprehensive integration plan within nine months;
  • Requiring the FAA to create a five-year UAS roadmap (which should be updated annually);
  • Requiring small UAS (under 55lbs) to be allowed to fly within 27 months;
  • Requiring six UAS test sites within six months (similar to the language in the already-passed Defense Authorization bill);
  • Requiring small UAS (under 55lbs) be allowed to fly in the U.S. Arctic, 24-hours-a-day, beyond line-of-sight, at an altitude of at least 2,000 ft, within one year;
  • Requiring expedited access for public users, such as law enforcement, firefighters, emergency responders, etc.;
  • Allowing first responders to fly very small UAS (4.4lbs or less) within 90 days if they meet certain requirements;
    • The goal is to get law enforcement and firefighters immediate access to start flying small systems to save lives and increase public safety.
  • Requiring the FAA to study UAS human factors and causes of accidents; and
  • Exempting model aircraft, so long as the aircraft weighs less than 55lbs and follows a set of community-based safety standards.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Looks like this is going to the president's desk.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/319564

People are afraid though.

-s

30,000 drones in American skies, civil liberties in jeopardy
    A bill passed last week allocating more than $63 billion to the Federal Aviation Administration would increase the existence of drones in civilian ai…
  • I know that there has been soap dispensing to make a bird kill.

Not too sure if any rc flight has made a safety issue.

Don't fly near an airport.

That is a rule.

• Well from what I hear this is the closest this bill ever has been to passing. I work in aviation and follow this bill closely. So if this goes on to pass as currently constituted then that is good. Of course forcing them to figure it out could lead to a restricted UAV rule that could hurt us too.
This reply was deleted.

Activity