Hey there,

I don't have all my parts to start building yet, but I like to continually verify that everything that I have is decent for a self built quad. Some information is overwhelming(custom firmwares on ESCs) and hard to make decisions sometimes.

I've noticed that all cables, are signal,+,- with the signal facing towards the center of the board (link to wiki).

Anyways, I have an Optima 9 receiver, but the pins aren't labeled anywhere that I can find. The top of the vertical 3 pins has a notch in the plastic, obviously meant for a connector to not be plugged in the wrong way. Is the notch the signal cable side, or the ground cable, and how bad would it be if I missed this up? (I believe notch side is signal) 

Question with the power input to the APM2. I ordered ESC's all with built in BEC. I've read on rcgroups that it is bad to connect multiple ESC/BEC's to a control board as it may interfere as they are not meant to be run in parallel. Is this true with the APM2? I ordered a UBEC in case it is, and then I've come across more questions. Are the +,- lines all shared unless I disconnect that jumper?

I've read that a bad servo could possibly fry a board(I believe by causing a short?) Obviously that is the last thing I want to do.

If I used an attopilot to figure the current/voltage- it would be readable through a telemetry module and viewing the GCS correct? (curious if I could hook it up to aurora 9(built in telemetry) to read it until 3dr telemetry module can be ordered).

And hopefully my final question, I just don't like to make assumptions. The +,- for each output, do they have to be connected to each ESC? The example in the wiki makes it seem like it is unnecessary but I think that its due to the PDB sharing that 5V(?) Line between all the ESCs- it is not necessary for each one to get its own separately connected +,-  as it is a simple voltage source shared in parallel?

Also, tips on using the aurora 9/ optima 9 with APM2. I loathe dealing with the receiver/transmitter in the entire setup... all the options... its soo much reading and trying to figure out how it will affect my flying. I read somewhere on getting all the channels for the aurora 9 set up, I figure I would deal with that after basic flying. I can't wait to get the 3dr telemetry module once available for some point fly by wire.

Thank you in advance for answer my barrage questions. If you don't mind, I'd love to ask more questions, but I believe I should also wait for some more hands on experience... I just worry about frying the board.

-Ryan

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ryan,

This seems to have been sitting here for about a week so I'll help out and just go down the page in order.

- Optima 9 RX cables: The little notch is intended for a "key" on the mating connector. Only Futaba type connectors have these and it always corresponds to the "signal" pin. RC servo connectors are designed so that if you plug them in backwards there shouldn't be any damage BUT there is always the possibility so be careful!

- APM Power: You MUST connect ALL the ESC's to the APM but only one of them should have the center (often red) wire connected. On all others you should carefully remove the center wire from the connector (a razor blade works well to get under the retaining tang) and tape it up or (my preference) insulate it with heatshrink tubing.

- Bad Servo: If the servo is shorted it is possible to damage the APM. If you are concerned about a servo test it first with a servo tester. Align sells one for about $40 that doubles as a great little battery tester that reads in % of charge quite accurately.

- Attopilot: I assume you meant the current sensor they sell. Read the Wiki on this one. I believe this is the one recommended by DIYDrones.

- +- for each ESC. Ummm, I thought this was the same as the previous question. signal and - must be connected to the APM for all ESC's and only one BEC should be connected.

- With regards to RX/TX  setup: Unless you want to crash instantly and possible destroy your new quad you MUST setup your   TX properly and bind it with your RX. It's not something you can "deal with after basic flying" it's required for basic flying.

Best thing to do is not to analyze it to death! JUMP IN AND GET YOUR PARTS AND START BUILDING!!!! :-D

All the best,

Ron

This reply was deleted.

Activity