Developer

Copter-3.3 beta testing

Warning #1: an issue has been found with Tower's Pause button which can cause the vehicle to fly to an old position if the vehicle has not sent a position update to Tower in some time.

Warning #2: Copter-3.3.2 fixes a bug found in Copter-3.3.1's desired climb rate initialisation which could lead to a sudden momentary drop when switching from Stabilize or Acro to AltHold, Loiter or PosHold.

Warning #3: Copter-3.3.2 fixes an issue found in Copter-3.3.1 which could lead to hard landings in RTL or AUTO if the WPNAV_SPEED_DN was set too high (i.e. >400 or 4m/s) and/or the WPNAV_ACCEL_Z was set too low (i.e. <100 or 1m/s/s).

Warning #4: a bug was found in Copter-3.3 which could cause a sudden crash if you abort a Take-off initiated from a ground station.  Video description is here.  The bug is fixed in Copter-3.3.1 so we recommend upgrading.

Note #1: AC3.3-rc8 corrected a long standing bug in the HDOP reporting.  HDOP values will appear about 40% lower than previously but this does not actually mean the GPS position is better than before.
Note #2: if upgrading from AC3.2.1 the vehicle's accelerometer calibration needs to be done again.
Note #3: set SERIAL2_PROTOCOL to "3" and reboot the board to enable FrSky telemetry like in previous versions.
Note #4: the wiki will be updated over the next few weeks to explain how to use the new features

Copter-3.3.1 is available through the mission planner.  The full list of changes vs AC3.2.1 can be see in the ReleaseNotes and below are the most recent changes since AC3.3.

Sadly this version (and all future versions) will not run on the APM2.x boards due to CPU speed, flash and RAM restrictions.

Changes from 3.3:

1) Bug fix to prevent potential crash if Follow-Me is used after an aborted takeoff

2) compiler upgraded to 4.9.3 (runs slightly faster than 4.7.2 which was used previously)

Changes from 3.3-rc11:

1) EKF recovers from pre-arm "Compass variance" failure if compasses are consistent

Changes from 3.3-rc10:

1) PreArm "Need 3D Fix" message replaced with detailed reason from EKF

Changes from 3.3-rc9
1) EKF improvements:
    a) simpler optical flow takeoff check
2) Bug Fixes/Minor enhancements:
    a) fix INS3_USE parameter eeprom location
    b) fix SToRM32 serial protocol driver to work with recent versions
    c) increase motor pwm->thrust conversion (aka MOT_THST_EXPO) to 0.65 (was 0.50)
    d) Firmware version sent to GCS in AUTOPILOT_VERSION message
3) Safety:
    a) pre-arm check of compass variance if arming in Loiter, PosHold, Guided
    b) always check GPS before arming in Loiter (previously could be disabled if ARMING_CHECK=0)
    c) sanity check locations received from GCS for follow-me, do-set-home, do-set-ROI
    d) fix optical flow failsafe (was not always triggering LAND when optical flow failed)
    e) failsafe RTL vs LAND decision based on hardcoded 5m from home check (previously used WPNAV_RADIUS parameter)

Thanks for your testing!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Randy,

I do have a two battery setup on the 650sport (for the video stuff), will try to power it from the second battery.

• I think that i2c LED has the same i2c address as your compass. 

• Artem,

Is there a way I could change it (on a compass)?

Its a compass/gps M8N combo.

• As far as I know nope.

But as Randy mentioned it could also be a power problem, however I think if it is the case, than it would also power down the whole 3.3v line on the FC board meaning that your gyros, acc and the onboard compass would be malfunctioning.. Also, as far as I know most of the m8n GPS/mag combos are powers through the 5v line of the GPS serial port,,, 

• You are right.

I have connected only the SDL/SCL/Ground wires from the compass to the I2C.

The power is coming from the GPS port.

• Something of possible interest. Frame- Hoverthings Flip FPV w/ 2212 980kv Sunnysky's. I have been flying a 3s setup with 11x45 HQ MR props for a while now. Last night I switched over to a 4S setup with 9x43 HQ MR props. IMU1 is nearly identical with either setup but the big difference is in IMU2. With the 3S setup, IMU2 is sometimes very erratic. So far (only a few flights), the 4S setup has IMU2 in check. I still have some tuning to do, etc..., but just thought I'd toss this out here as something of possible interest.

3s

3702045074?profile=original4s

3702045321?profile=original

• T3

To me the relation between the two looks more or less similar. 

But what is interesting is that IMU2 is that much higher. On my setups it is higher as well but only a little. Most probably this is also related to a specific frequency. 

• MR60

The difference you see is due to the smaller props on 4S: they turn faster and thus the frequency is different (higher) than on your3S setup. This shows your anti vibration mount does not blocked lower frequencies as well as higher frequencies.

• Thanks for your reply and explanation. I have the controller mounted using only a double layer of 1cm squares of 3M 4010 double-sided gel tape at each corner.. After a couple years of 3S, I'm really enjoying this new found world of 4S capabilities.

• Developers -- My hat is off to all of you (or it would be if I wore a hat).You folks seem to be working 24/7 on the development/testing/analysis/fixes and forum.  I don't know if this is how you make your living or just a labor of love but whatever it is, you are doing a great job of it.  I, for one, really appreciate what you are doing.  A big "thank you" to all.

This reply was deleted.

Activity