Crash and freeze

Now the following has happened to me quite a few times with different codes. Latest code I've tried is 2.1. APM is version 1:

I'm hovering in stable mode. In flight, the quad just tips over and crashes. After that, one of the motors is squeaking loudly without rotating.

Moreover, the arducopter does not respond to any stick movements. The leds are on, but I'm unable to disarm it. I need to disconnect and reconnect the battery to get it responding again.

Any ideas? Faulty APM?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Jahn,

This also happened to me today. My Hexa just banked right after 5mins of hovering calmly and despite radio input to correct, it made no difference. I am running 2.1.1 with a 1280 board. Did a lot of damage.

I rebuilt it, reset  and clean loaded the software, did a full setup and checks and my compass is stuffed. When I turn it it follows but then always bounces back to 16oN. I have to think about what to do, buy a new APM or persist?

• 100KM

I think I also got hit by this.  Crashed my hexa today with 2.1 firmware.  After the crash all 6 motors were stopped and squeeling (I think it were all 6, sounded awfull).  Couldn't disarm, so had to pull the battery.

This seems to be happening a lot lately no ?  Can this really all be contributed to bad magneto solderings ?

I've about 100 troublefree flights and about 6 crashes.  This is my first crash that was clearly an APM failure.

• Developer

When this happens does the quad continue to respond as if it's trying to keep itself level?  For example if you do a hand test (please be careful!) can you feel it fighting against being leaned over?  I'm wondering if basically the APM seems alive but is simply not responding to radio inputs.

If 'yes' then you should try updating the PPM encoder (the code that runs on the MUX, the little Atmel328 responsible for the radio input/output).  Instructions are on the wiki here.  Note that you need an Atmel programmer (sorry!).  The latest version of the ppm encoder code can be found in the download area, look for "ArduPPM_v0.9.87_Arducopter-APMv1.4.hex" if you're using a quad or heli (there's another version there for planes).

• ive had this happen to me in the past (weeks ago) and it scared the crap out of me! started it up and the thing had a mind of its own and flew across the room.. gah! it was like jaws and i ran (squealed like a girl) lol. lucky no damage just 1 prop, but man, id like to know what it is causing this?!

• Ok, I have reflowed the solder joints on the compass. The problem still persists.

Is there anything else I can try?

• Developer

The compass failed. Check the solder joints. 

This is the I2C hangup we're trying to fix. If the compass fails in flight due to vibration and a bad solder joint you can have this issue.

Jason

This reply was deleted.

Activity