Replies

• Hi bill and all,
    i would like to ask about the fail safe mode or can say RTL mode , In my case my RC doesnt have inbuilt fail safe , so i was just checking its behaviourof matrixnav RTL in case of signal loss. So here how i proceed ::
    # I keep the plane leveled and and on the transmitter then i on the plane and wait for some 3 mins it get the GPS lock also and just move rudder in left and right direction.
    # As rudder flipping stops i check the manual control of rudder and elevator and it was perfect in manual control.
    #Next i switch it into RTL position and its elevator was perfect according to pitch of plane, but rudder little deviates to left side and respond according to yaw of plane .
    # i bring back in manual control and switching of controls was also perfect it make rudder and elevator leveled.
    # Next i just switch off transmitter to simulate the condition of signal loss. But here what i found that the rudder and elevator remain leveled and does not change according to pitch and yaw , is it normal or something wrong here.
    # just a one more try i on the transmitter and bring it into RTL mode and this time i just off the transmitter and PLane seems to remain in RTL mode and its rudder and elevator behaves according to the pitch and yaw of plane .......

I m using a 7 channel radio of futaba on easystar plane.......
    Does it conclude that it works only when signal loss is in RTL mode
  • Bill, many thanks for your answer...... i´ll be ordering one of these for my plane !

G.
  • Kudos to Bill, Chris, Paul, Louis, Ben and other people that I might have forgot to mention for this great project.
    I have been very busy at work lately but have done some work on Telemetry. I am learning LabView so perhaps I will be able to make a ground station for the UAV DevBoard platform in the future.

I am also working on a airframe that will be able to carry a larger payload and still retaining proper balance in flight (the EasyStar has a limited weight carrying ability under the main wing)

What I would like is OSD functionality as well as a way to point a camera towards coordinates at ground or in space. I havent figured out the math, but I was thinking that if we transform the plane's coordinate system to te earth's, then we set up a vector from the plane origin to the point in the ground coordinate system that we want to point to. The angle of that vector should be the angle the camera should point in when transformed back to the planes coordinate system.

Have somebody figured out the math for this yet?

UFO_MAN
  • Hi Bill,

I read in the posts and PDF guides that you experienced some problems with high frequency signals on the gyros (for instance when you tapped against the gyros). You solved it by oversampling at 5kHz, low pass filtering and decimation. BTW, the MatrixNav doc mentions 500 and not 5000 Hz. Is this simply a typo or did you lower the sampling frequency by any chance?

Looking at the LISY300AL datasheet, it is mentioned that there are three filters associated with it. One is a 400Hz cut-off builtin 1st order low pass filter. The second is an active 1st order low pass filter whose cut-off frequency can be adjusted with an external cap. The third is an optional external low pass filter (RC) that can be attached to the analog output of the gyro.

Now the question. Did you make use of all these filters and still experienced the symptoms that you fixed by means of oversampling?

Best regards,
    Elardus
  • Hi Bill,
    We recently bought a UAV Dev Board from sparkfun, but we noticed that inputs 3 and 4 don't work...
    Even debugging the application resulted in associated variables equals to 0 (counted pwm pulse length).
    Inputs 1 and 2 instead are perfect!
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance, bye!
  • Jeff,

(for some reason, I can't reply to your post, so I hope you see this)

My complementary filter is discussed here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12082524&postcoun...

The post includes pseudo-code and some diagrams. It is flying on some quads (like this one: http://aeroquad.info/bin/view), and should work OK. I think the Mahony/Premerlani/et al filter is far superior, but this should be more understandable.

Once we have a workable codebase we'll post it.

- Roy
    RC Groups - View Single Post - Quaduino - A new project to build a cheaper, better quadrocopter
    RC Groups - the most active Radio Control model community: electric and fuel rc airplanes,rc helis,rc boats and rc cars. Features discussion forums,…
  • Hello Bill:

I have contacted Aaron and we are in the process of RMA the ICD2.

Meanwhile I got to play a little with the FTDI board. To put this post into the context, I am talking with reference to this post of yours while we were discussing the voltage of FTDI board. I had to remove the solder on the breakout board to get the voltage back to 5v. Now here is the mystery. It seems I have successfully removed the solder tieing the board to 3.3v. In your post you mentioned, I need to connect to VCCIO pin. However when I checked the voltage of VCCIO relative to GND, I get 3.05 volts. The VCCIO pin is in the row opposite V3.3 pin. However, before desoldering it was 3.33v. On the other hand, the VCC on the board (this is the one besides the V3.3) is at 5v. I believe this VCC pin was soldered to V3.3 and as a result was tied to 3.3. Now that is has been desoldered it is back at its reference voltage.

So I have a mystery right now. In your post you said VCCIO pin of the FTDI board must be connected to VCC of the UAVDevBoard. However VCCIO is at 3.05v but VCC pin of the FTDI is at 5v. Did I make a mistake in desoldering or did I interpret you incorrectly?

Thanks,
    Dev
  • Hi All,

Has anyone out there tried to apply the DCM approach to a terrestrial vehicle (car, bus, etc.) to determine pitch and roll while driving (these angles would of course include both the road attitude and vehicle attitude relative to the road due to stabilisers, dampers, shocks, and such).

Having read the draft documentation on the theory behind it, and the paper from Mahony et al. it seems that this approach would be well suited for use in cars too. Maybe even a bit of overkill. I.e. if it works for planes it seems that it should work equally well and probably even better for an earth bound vehicle which is more restricted in terms of movement/direction of acceleration and turns (no wind effect for example).

One thing that does not fit too well with the current DCM approach is that it makes use of the GPS indicated speed, which (if we leave the effect of wind alone for now) is never zero during flight, therefore always having a good indication of true (ground) speed. But in a car the GPS would show small (erroneous) values for the speed while the vehicle is actually standing still, possibly affecting the outcome of the rotational matrix. One can probably work around this though.

Any thoughts?

BTW, great work Bill!

Regards,
    Elardus
  • Hi, Bill:

If I want to modify the firmware in UAV board WITHOUT connecting RC receiver to the board, can I use ESC to power UAV board directly? I mean to connect +5V and GND of ESC to the VCC and GND on the board. I have a 3s Lipo battery (11.1V) with a Castle Creation Thunderbird 18 ESC.

Thanks
  • Hi, Sid & Bill:

Thanks a lot for the correction. Really appreciate for the additional info. I'll try these connections.

Bill - you mentioned the instructions for the connection are in fw. Could you point out which file(s) I need to look at?

David
This reply was deleted.

Activity