ESC Usable? One wire removed

Hi all, 

I'll try and keep it short. QR newbie trying to build a new copter using some parts left over from a different QR project (working). I've ordered an APM1, and I've finally got it here all soldered up ready to go. When I was stripping the ESC's off the old frame I noticed something - the centre red wire has been disconnected on all of them. 

Firstly - they are Mystery 30A Controllers (as seen here). A picture of what I'm talking about can be seen here. Any ideas on why he would have done this alteration? Are the ESC's still usable? Going off this page I suspect it's the +ve connection that's been removed, again no idea why. If anything I can imagine ground being taken out and having the connection acting as a floating +'ve but I've really got no clue with this type of stuff at the moment (trying to learn!). 

Can anyone advise me if this will impact the running of the motors, or what is going on?

Thanks all, happy to answer any follow up questions. 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• They will work perfectly fine. ESCs sometimes have a BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit) built into them. In this case the red wire would be connected. These ones either don't have a BEC or have had their BECs disabled. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity