Fatshark 5.8 Ghz Terrible Range

Using a new Fatshark 5.8 with my 2.4Ghz Futaba controller. I hear folks complaining about 150m outages but I can't get much more than 10m. If I setup the camera without my quad simply turning around goes to static. WTF? Is there a special channel that works best with 2.4? I purchased the cloverleaf antennae, etc. and they are no better than the stock. What am I doing wrong or is this a huge waste of 500 bucks? Very frustrated with this purchase!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I should get my FatShark 5.8G system with the immersion 600mW transmitter by the end of the week or early next week.  From what I read, I'm not expecting more than 300m in good conditions.  I don't understand why they make a 100mW transmitter in the 5.8G band.  When I get the system, I'll tell you the range I'm getting.

Regards

JM

• 5G is a terrible frequency range for getting any sort of distance.  Lower frequency = longer range, all other things being equal.  100mW is a very weak transmitter.  10m is about what I'd expect for 100mW @ 5.8g.

Not sure why companies make such wild claims for 5G devices, but don't believe anything you read as far as range claims, especially with higher frequencies.

• Admin

@aspenlife,

What is the Fastshark transmitter power? Most of the Fatshark equipment I have seen is not very powerful. 900MHz is really the best way to go for video in most cases.

Regards,

TCIII

This reply was deleted.

Activity