FBW_A and Stabilize don't agree on Level [solved]

Hi folks,

On the bench: When FBW_A is enabled, all control surfaces level off when I tip the plane 20 degrees up and roll it about 30 degrees right.  When stabilize is enabled, all surfaces are level when the plane is level.

In the past, I've seen this load of APM2 (version 2.40) operate FBW_A and Stabilize agree on where level is.  Not today, though!  You should have seen the flight!

How could these two modes not agree on where level is?  How can I fix it?  Does FBW have some memory of trimming I don't know about that stabilize ignores?  

Thank you,

spag

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've figured this out.

It seems that using manual level does not update the offsets for both fbw and stabilize; just stab is kept current. If you allow the plane to level everything at boot, both modes will agree.

I discovered this after the problem followed me from 2.4 to 2.6.

The most effective solution is blowing away the config and starting over. I simplified this by taking a screenshot of the PID's before clearing the config, since that's the most time-consuming part to redo.

Then I erased the eeprom by entering terminal mode and typing 'setup erase'. Then I restored to factory defaults by typing 'setup reset'. FBW and stab agreed after that. I just re-entered my PID values, recalibrated my radio, set the modes, changed settings here and there, and done. 10 minutes, tops.

• Is there no other APM2 user who has or has had this issue?  Is there an expert who can shed light on how the feature works internally?  Perhaps there is a thing that needs to be cleared, or... some other such thing?  

• Hi,

A couple of weekends ago, we were also messing with APM2 and arduplane 2.5, and found all kinds of weirdness with level settings between stabilise, and FBW/auto.  

The last thing we had changed was to using the "level" option (which remembers the level set across bootups).

Going back to using normal re-leveling on each boot seemed to fix the problem.  Didn't look much further into it at the time as we got busy flying :)

This reply was deleted.

Activity