Finwing Penguin FPV aircraft

I know that Penguin's don't fly, but this I'm pretty happy with mine.

I've just completed 5 flights with my Penguin and I would have to say that it is a pleasure to build and fly. It has all the benefits of a Skywalker, but so far none of the bad characteristics (ie. tip stalls, sensitive elevator throws, shaking tail, lost of elevator control at high airspeed). I don't have the time to write a list of what I like about the Penguin (so assume I think its awesome), so I'm going to list what can be improved (as that list is much smaller).

1. The elevator servo should be mounted in the tail, as it is hard to access in the body, and there is some play in the elevator control rod which I used some sticky tape to fix
2. I don't like the play in the screw that holds the control rod to the clevis. There should be on screw from the clevis, and a grub screw to retain the rod in position.
3. The preinstalled velcro in the fuselage is the wrong way, the hook material should be in the aircraft, and the furry side should be on the parts (ie battery, receiver etc) that will mount onto the aircraft
4. A flat carbon strip should be provided rather than a tube to make the horizontal stabiliser more rigid.
5. I glued the vertical stabiliser in place as it didn't seem strong enough with one screw.
6. The canopy should be magnet mounted (put magnets where the screws go). Using a screw driver at the field is not convenient, and can lead to lose of screws or forgetting to screw the canopy on.

Other than that, I am very very very happy with the aircraft, it has very good handling characteristics, it doesn't get blown around in strong wind like the skywalker, it stalls cleanly, it can fly very slowly even without flaps, it isn't sensitive on the elevator or CoG, it doesn't lose control at high speed.

Param file attached.

Not my video, but it did entice me into buying one.  http://youtu.be/pyq3cGG1RC4

PenguinAPM.param

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Tran.

Im trying to fly a penguin with a D3536/8 1000kv motor and a APC 10x4 propeller.

Do you believe that your parameters wells works whit this?.

Thanks.. Hope your comment if its posible. Marino.

• HI do you have a build thread of this somewhere? Im building mine this week. Maybe we can share ideas. thanks

• What would be good PID's for this plane? in your param file they seem unchanged?

• Thanks for posting this.  I am hoping to move to the Penguin over this winter time and will try your param file when I get there.

I am having serious problems with my SW as I just cannot get the APM2 to function properly with it.  I had the APM in a Bixler and it was fine, but the SW is really challenging me on setup.. I still have no RTL working..

• Sorry, but for the price, it is hard to beat a Skywalker. The only issue with a SW is the need to re-enforce the wings. But the trade is no need to mess with tail. Just my 2 cents.

• Can you post some pictures of your electronics layout? Thanks!

• Thank you!! Can hardly wait to get mine.

Preston

This reply was deleted.

Activity