flying quadcopter without electronic aids

I'm a memebr of MAAA and was surprised to find that they have issued means to test flyers at bronze and gold standard flying multicopters without any form of electronic aids - the scope of controls, I believe is beyond the capabilities of an average flyer - do any members feel that this possible?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It makes no sense.  Firstly, to fly a quad comparably to a fixed wing or heli with "no electronic aids" you'd need to have your four ESCs connected directly to four channels of your receiver and be able to manually adjust the relative speeds of each rotor by your four sticks.

With a reasonably sophisticated radio you may be able to set up mixing to give you collective, cyclic and yaw in the same way as your standard quad controls, but without ANY augmentation you'd need to be damn fast on the sticks to do it.  The fact that quads only came into existence once small MEMS gyros and small, fast processers hit the market is a sign that it's not really feasible.

Can you get your bronze wings on a conventional helicopter without any sort of gyro?  Are you allowed to use transmitter mixing on a fixed wing?  That's an electronic aid ...

Sounds like grumpy old people trying to keep those damn kids off their lawn.

• Thanks. Yes that is the conclusion I reached.  It would appear that the means has been devised to make sure no-one actually flies.  I would also question who taught the inspector of the applicant? I really would like to see him in operation!

This reply was deleted.

Activity