FrSky not so free.

Recently I have noticed a massive loss of range with one of my Frsky X8R receivers. I did all the usual things to try to resolve the issue, including trying a couple of other X8R's. I even tried one on it's own with no other devices connected, tried different environments, all to no avail. I went online and found that my problem is far from unusual, there appears to be masses of unhappy owners of these things, all having the same fault, so I decided to look a little further. I replaced the antenna's on the first bad receiver, and no improvement, but I did notice that none of my X8R receivers actually utilise diversity in half or full duplex, only one antenna (the same one on all RX's) actually does anything at all. This includes a brand new, out of the packet RX which kind of indicates possibly a bit of fakery is going on. Both antennas do connect to the RF chip, but from there who knows. A simple test is to grab each antenna, and watch your RSSI, one will cause a plummet into failsafe, the other nothing, no effect at all (my 3 did this anyway) Plotting my RSSI levels on a CRO showed a rolling swing of over 20db, in sync with RFH cycle, This combined with the other test of using a 2 watt full duplex rf booster offering an output gain of +14db and an input gain of +12db only yielded a 3db improvement in the rssi, and marginal (20mtr) increase in the now sub 100meter range, pointing more to a frequency problem, not a front end rf problem, despite no diversity. The only conclusion I can draw is that either the transmitter (Taranis) when in D16 (X8R) mode is missing frequency targets or conversely the receiver is, or the entire block is drifting off frequency and subsequently losing the link at one end of the spectrum, recovering again next time around, hence the sawtooth RSSI pattern. Most disconcerting was that after joining the FrSky forum, and laying out my discoveries as a possible cause for the piles of complaints, my posts and tests were quickly removed, and I have now been kicked off the forum by the administrator with no reason given.. no tears there, but in my book, it's quite telling about the company, no correspondence, just get rid of me before I cost them any sales. Anyway, I am also partly eliminating the Taranis from the cause list as my L9R receivers still get massive range, and my D8R-II also get the normal distances, it is only peculiar to the X8R, however, possibly contrary to that, it still may be a coding issue with the RF from the Taranis end, unique to binding that X8R RX, The thing that seems to possibly back that theory is that none of the complainants could get any of their X8R's to perform beyond about 20-100metres, and some with many receivers, others buying themselves a replacement. Doesn't stop there though, one victim tried a second Taranis but still showed no improvement. It almost seems like a virus infects both units. Mine lasted about one year before the first receiver died, and from then on none of my other X8R's would work either. Very strange problem, it's looking like my only solution is to completely ditch all of my $60.00 X8R's and for RC telemetry just use the D8R and for non telemetry the L9R. Big loss not having the S port direct though. I'd be interested to see if anyone else here has the same problem. 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Hi Alasdair,

Thanks for the tips.

i will give the XJT module a try and see if it helps.
    if otherS can fly to 2km without problems why not me...
    I have tried difrente locations and all of them in remote areas, no houses no citys just the farms fields and me.
    not even power lines are in the area i fly.
    So there is no wifi radio noise for 5km radius

What is even more fustrating i have a freind of mine with a X8R and he has no problem and he is using the XJT module and X8R receive but on a Turnigy 9XRPro and not a Taranis x9d Plus like me.

i am going to give this module a go and see if there has been a problem on the Internal XJT board from the start.

if that does not work i will think of scraping the taranis radio and just get the turngy 9xr pro Like my buddys only difrence on turnigy is no telemtrey readings on the radio you need the frsky telemetry screen.

Tomorrow i will give the module a try and report back to you guys.

• Thanks Alasdair,

I can read that you are also one of the many fustrated...

i will give the module a try tomorrow and see..

can you give some info about this multiplex telemetry is it with the taranis?

Mike, I feel your pain mate- it's enough to send anyone over the edge. Just a quick check, I know that you have the plus version and the rear half boards are slightly different- there looks to still be two rows of seven header pins from the crap photo I'm looking at (sorry I don't have access to a plus), just in slightly different orientation. It might be worth checking the soldering if you have not already. Obviously this will not help if your x8r is the issue. Best of luck, let us know how you go.
  • Hi Alasdair,

Thank you for your very informative explaination.

It makes interesting reading and certainly broadens my knowledge-base.

Regards,

gG

• Hi Guys,

I have been pulling out my hair, the little I have left, due to this RSSI X8R Warnings..

I have carefully read forums these posts

I have Taranis Plus x9d  that is a different internal board as from the post regarding the soldering of the pins.. 

I have updated the radio and X8R to Eu then to international  and still nothing

I have even extended the receiver antenna to 250 then 400 and 600mm...

I have even done  the X9D antenna 5 dbi Mod and still nothing..

I have tried two brand new X8R and nothing

It is defiantly not the radio  because with L9R I get no rssi warnings.

I have now purchased an external XJT module maybe or not this will solve....

Sorry for the so many I HAVE.....

this has me so frustrating I have spent hours at the desk than flying....

and I not a quitter I just want the problem fixed with the X8R telemetry

shame L9R has no telemetry

to many pilots with same issue and no real fix

FRSKY WHAT IS GOING ON....

• Obviously you won't get RSSI warnings using a L9R as there is no telemetry as you recognise. So this does not rule out the transmitter at all.

My advice is first do a standard range test with the X8R, receiver out of model and antenna oriented properly, Tx in RT mode. If you get 30m or more with no RSSI warning the test is passed. The reason for your airborne RSSI warnings will be with your antenna placement/orientation.

If the test fails you know that either your Tx or Rx (or both) are faulty. Obviously you can identify which it is if you can get another Tx or Rx to test with. Other than that contact the dealer for a replacement.

• Hi Alasdair,

Thank you for your dedication in solving this matter.

You mentioned in an earlier posting one have to 'unbind' the X8R, prior to binding it again.

I suppose you know how?

Can you please explain the procedure?   (I see that Cristian also ask the same question)

Your valued input on this tiny matter will be appreciated.

btw,  is this a FrSky recommended official procedure/practice, to unbind, before bind, on the X?R series?

or is it your recommendation to  'make sure' ?

Awaiting your feedback.

Thank you.

gG

• How can I unbind the receiver?

• Thanks for this heads up!!

I promptly took apart my Taranis and luckily all of my pins were soldered. If it helps any data point the version of my Taranis via the label in the back of the RF module bay is:

A01 US AH 25/03/2014

I have not noticed any issues yet, but I'm glad to have checked this.

Is it strange that the X8R receiver doesn't seem to use both antennas? Is this still the same after soldering all of these pins?

Thanks again for sharing your findings. Have you alerted the OpenTX group also? Since most Taranis owners get their firmware there, I would think that would be a good place to get an alert out to many of the Taranis owners.

This reply was deleted.

Activity